Specifying cell size in the 'Create Fishnet' tool

Jump to solution
08-28-2014 08:43 PM
emilyLester
New Contributor

Hello,

I want to use the Create Fishnet tool in order to create a grid with cells 500m by 500m but the template extent is specified in GCS WGS 1984 and so I cannot specify the units of the cell width and cell height.

I was advised to project my template (a buffer that I created) to the coordinate system GDA 1994 MGA Zone 50 but am still encountering the same problem.

Is there a way to overcome this and specify cell size?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Emily

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For most instances, it is best to use a projected coordinate system, especially if you want to specify the cell size in meters.  To do this, your template can be an input file with the desired coordinate system or by specifying it in the Environments tab (bottom right of the tool) as given in the help file...

The coordinate system of the output can be set either by entering a feature class or layer in the Template Extent  parameter or by setting  the  Output Coordinate System environment variable.

The help file topic in the Create Fishnet Tool provides the advise you need.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For most instances, it is best to use a projected coordinate system, especially if you want to specify the cell size in meters.  To do this, your template can be an input file with the desired coordinate system or by specifying it in the Environments tab (bottom right of the tool) as given in the help file...

The coordinate system of the output can be set either by entering a feature class or layer in the Template Extent  parameter or by setting  the  Output Coordinate System environment variable.

The help file topic in the Create Fishnet Tool provides the advise you need.