Pass URL Parameters When Linking to Map Journal Section

Jump to solution
11-05-2018 07:53 AM
KingstonArcGIS_Online
New Contributor II

Hello,

Every section, of my Map Journal story map, with the exception of the first one, is a Web AppBuilder app. I'd like to link to those sections, but at the same time pass in a parameter to the respective app url (either to find an address or x/y). Essentially what I'm after is establishing a location - address or extent - at the start of the story map and maintaining that same location throughout the subsequent sections, but I need to use WAB apps, not web maps. Similar to the other question I posted today I've been told it's not possible out of the box, but wasn't sure if it could be/has been achieved via customization.

Thanks!

Chris

PS: Apologies for impersonally posting under our admin account - it's showing me as logged in under my personal account at the top of the screen...

Chris Taylor

City of Kingston, Ontario

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chris

This isn't possible with apps embedded in Story Maps. We'd recommend using standard web maps instead of embedded apps to get this sort of experience. For example in a Story Map Series, you can show different maps in different tabs (or the same map with different layers turned on in different tabs) and then if your reader chooses a particular place or location, that extent is automatically carried over to those other tabs.

We have got this on our list though for a possible future enhancement because embedding apps inside Story Maps, especially Story Map Series is becoming a popular way to present a set of apps in an easy to use 'binder'. There could be ways to carry the reader's chosen location from app to app. But we do feel that if you can do this simply with web maps instead of apps, it is a clean, easy to understand experience for readers, especially the sort of non-technical non-GIS audience a lot of publicly shared stories are aimed at.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chris

This isn't possible with apps embedded in Story Maps. We'd recommend using standard web maps instead of embedded apps to get this sort of experience. For example in a Story Map Series, you can show different maps in different tabs (or the same map with different layers turned on in different tabs) and then if your reader chooses a particular place or location, that extent is automatically carried over to those other tabs.

We have got this on our list though for a possible future enhancement because embedding apps inside Story Maps, especially Story Map Series is becoming a popular way to present a set of apps in an easy to use 'binder'. There could be ways to carry the reader's chosen location from app to app. But we do feel that if you can do this simply with web maps instead of apps, it is a clean, easy to understand experience for readers, especially the sort of non-technical non-GIS audience a lot of publicly shared stories are aimed at.

Rupert

0 Kudos
KingstonArcGIS_Online
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert - it's interesting you mention Series, as that's the one that looks like it will let me get closest to what I'm after.

Chris

0 Kudos