Need to Post a Custom Base Map

06-25-2014 07:19 AM
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Dear All,
I need a custom base map for my story map. I don't have access to ArcGIS for Server and therefore can't provide a map service as one (Is that even possible?) Either way I want my base map to be that of a newly built small park that as of yet doesn't appear in aerial imagery base map choices. I need a detailed map of the park showing different Infrastructure such as metallic pathways, info-kiosk platforms etc. Is it possible to just use a pdf of the park as a base map although it would not be georeferenced and then have point file linked to images, videos - or is that just not going to work?

Thanks,
Jim
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
That won't really work. If you just want to add the outline of the park into your map on top of the existing basemap you could draw it on the map using the ArcGIS.com map viewer drawing tools' upload it as a shapefile created in ArcMap, or as another linear data format supported by ArcGIS Online. But if you want to add some imagery on top of one of the basemaps to show a more recent image than the one that is shown in the basemap, you'd need to get it into the web map as a fully georeferenced layer in one of the formats supported by ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
JamesLabate
New Contributor II
Thanks for response Rupert. Yes, I suppose I can draw lines, polys and points in separate shp files from my georeferenced jpg of the park to upload and drop over imagery of trees. But the imagery kind of denies the new existing park features. I'd prefer to just use the georeferenced jpg as the base map.I did share the georeferenced jpg of the new park as a Map Package; it's in My Content. Unfortunately, I can't seem to add it to a new AGOL map. I search for it to add in AGOL with the tag and title I gave the map package and it doesn't find it. That's what I really need - is to simply add that georefed map package as the base map. Is this doable?

That failing, is there a ESRI cloud equivalent of ArcGIS for Server that a single license holder can use to replicate a map service? I have a home user license. Do the Organization privileges that come with that license allow someone to serve the equivalent of a map service somehow and  have a georeferenced jpg substitute for a base map.

Thanks for helping me out here

JIm
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
A map package or layer package can't be added directly into a web map. But your home user license includes an ArcGIS Online account and service credits that will let you publish services from ArcMap via ArcGIS Online's cloud, so if you can add your image into ArcMap, you can publish it as a service and add it to your web map. To check that you access to publishing services from ArcMap with your ArcGIS Online account, start ArcMap and choose File > Sign In with your ArcGIS Online account (if you are not already signed in). Now open any map document or add any data into your map. Make sure you are in Data view and not Layout view in ArcMap. Finally go to File > Share As Service and press Next in the wizard that appears and drop down the Choose a Connection list. If you can publish to ArcGIS Online you'll see a 'My Hosted Services' entry in that list. If you can't, you won't be able to. (If you have access to ArcGIS Server because you work for an organization that has ArcGIS Server, you can connect to that server at this point from the wizard to publish services).
0 Kudos
LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor
Another alternative would be to add some of your features to Open Street Map and use that as your base. When you're an editor on open street map you can choose which aerial service to reference from, some which may be more updated than others.
0 Kudos