Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Series Builder opening incorrect tab

11-05-2017 01:39 PM
NaomiBegg2
Deactivated User

I have created a map series which consists of 4 tabs (the first is a home page with an image and the other three all refer to the same map but different layers switched on).  I have been clicking straight from the first tab to the fourth tab but this choice is often not honoured and instead the second tab contents will open within the map screen yet still highlighting the tab that I asked to open.  This has been happening on both desktop and mobile.  Desktop the solution is to simply (yet frustratingly) click on the desired tab a second time, but with mobile you are required to click on another tab before having the choice to click on the tab you desire again.

What's gone wrong??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RupertEssinger
Esri Alum

Hi

I've not heard of that before. If it is or can be shared publicly, could you post the link to your Story Map Series so we can take a look?

Rupert

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2
Deactivated User

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=901d4a1c73064b50a76e71092b0b9516 

I click on the 'Rated Maori Land' after the home page has loaded and almost every time it will show the contents of 'Land use consents' instead.  (There should be black hashes rather than blue asterisks).

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Esri Alum

Hi Naomi,

I can reproduce that too. If I launch your story and then immediately click on tab 4 (Rated Maori Land)  I can get it to display the wrong map content:  it shows Land Use Consents - the blue asterisks - in the legend same as tab 2 instead of Taupo Rated Maori Land (black hashed polygons).

I'm not sure but this seems like something to do with that how that web map you are displaying:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=a063799dd18e4588a9cb3272ab10b944 

gets drawn: it's not that the Map Series is displaying the wrong tab. 

Rupert

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2
Deactivated User

I would suggest it is something within the app rather than the web map.

a) It corrects itself once you click on the tab for the second time.

b) Below snapshot shows that the selected layers does not contain the Land Use Consents.  So I don't understand why if it was the map it would show the specific layers I have selected for tab 2 rather than the tab 4 (both a distinct layers selections).

DavidAsbury
Esri Contributor

Hi Naomi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the app. I'm not sure what's happening here, and we'll continue to run down the issue with our development team. In the meantime, here are two suggestions that might resolve the problem.

1) We've found that when creating a story where you want to toggle layers on and off in different sections, it can help to save your webmap with all the layers *off*. And then, in the builder, toggle on the layers you'd like to see in each. See if that makes a difference.

2) Have you checked your story in My Stories? If you haven't used this tool before, it's great for troubleshooting errors and just generally maintaining your stories.

When I checked the Chrome developer's console (View->Developer->JavaScript Console or right-click->Inspect) I see errors for one of the layers in your webmap. Often, console errors are inscrutable, but sometimes you can find a clue in there. You'll notice the url for the "TuwharetoaLand1_WFL1" service appears several times.

Looking at your webmap, I noticed that the "TuwharetoaLand1_WFL1" was possibly added to the map differently than the first two layers ("Taupo Rated Maori Land" and "Taupo District Land"). Those first two layers don't have AGO item pages, but "TuwharetoaLand1_WFL1" does. Did you add the first two layers with Add->Add Layer from Web?

Granted, it shouldn't matter how you add data to your webmap, it should "just work", so we'll try and figure out why this is happening.

Try out the two suggestions above and let me know if either helps.

0 Kudos
DavidAsbury
Esri Contributor

Naomi,

Another suggestion, try and simplify (or cache) your services. Feature services that are complex and slow to draw can sometimes give all web apps (not only Story Maps) headaches.

0 Kudos