Issues with Data on Certain Tour Points Being Overwritten

Jump to solution
04-04-2016 04:23 PM
KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some issues with map tour points that are hosted on ArcGIS Online and are being added through Builder Mode. Here is the app: http://encinitas.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=63fc926eea204922905e567b3b60d7a5  (EDIT: app made private again)

The issue is that when I go back and edit existing tour points, it looks like attributes from one of the points will randomly overwrite the data in the other point. You can see this in points 7 & 9. The attributes from 7 were just copied over to 9.

Why would this be happening? We would like to get this Map Tour finished and available to the public in a month or so, but I want to resolve these issues before moving forward. I've made it public so you can see what's happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinHighland

Good suggestions, thank you.

Yeah, I still want to resolve the Map Story Tour issue. Should I open up a ticket with Support?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RuthBowers
New Contributor III

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have some feedback on your website. Why are all the numbered links clustered together when they don't have any spatial basis? For example, "Leaf Blowers", I assume, refers to leaf blowers all over the city.  Why not space the link symbols out so that people can see all of them from the home map position, since there is plenty of room? It is a pain to figure out where they might all be, then zoom in only to find out that the locations don't mean anything anyway.

0 Kudos
KevinHighland

It was determined by powers above me that all studies and city-wide CIPs should be included in the story map and mapped to the Encinitas City Hall, rather than spacing them out to random locations. I'm probably going to include something in the title for each of those that will say if it is a city-wide CIP.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Have you considered using Story Map Journal for this story? Like Ruth mentions you have quite a lot of tour points that don't represent actual places and this can be a bit hard to understand. In our gallery there are some examples of Story Map Journals being used for these sort of stories to good effect because it is more suited to stories that have non-spatial components. For example you can have some sections in your Story Map Journal that show a map and some that show an image, such as a general image about an initiative.

Rupert

KevinHighland

Hey Rupert,

When I first looked into the Story Map Journal option, I didn't think it would be able to handle the number of points (~55) that this map will include. I went back and created a sample of this and it actually works well even with lots of points. Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I will need the Story Map Tour for another project (all with actual locations). Any idea why this is happening? Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

Thanks,

Kevin

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

In a Map Journal you could have one section per point but it would be better to combine points thematically to avoid having a really long Map Journal. For example you could have one section in a Map Journal that talks about green initiatives, and put all those places on that map as clickable points.

I avoided mentioning your actual issue in my first response because I've not seen that behaviour before

KevinHighland

Good suggestions, thank you.

Yeah, I still want to resolve the Map Story Tour issue. Should I open up a ticket with Support?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Yes that would be good

0 Kudos