Select to view content in your preferred language

How to use string fields from a feature service to drive side panel content in Story Map Journal?

01-06-2017 08:55 AM
KyleCrawford2
New Contributor III

I have been tasked to create a presentation for a Capital Improvement Planning meeting and I thought creating a Story Map using the Journal template would be a great option. Until I discovered that you were unable to use fields from a feature service to drive the content in the side panel. Does anyone have an idea for the best way to get around this issue? I would like to keep this as a long term solution but without the hassle of updating the content every time a project is updated/created/completed...

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kyle,

That would be a great feature and we have talked about adding it as an enhancement to several of our story map apps, but we don't have any specific plans or timeline for that at the moment.

For now, that can only be done via customization by a developer. Check out this post on our developer blog that shows you how to do it.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

This is not possible with the Map Journal as is but we make the source code available so you can customize it. One of our colleagues has done just type of customization and wrote a blog post about it here: https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/adding-data-driven-text-to-a-story-map-22a8c54f7ce6#.5....

KyleCrawford2
New Contributor III

Owen and Stephen,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll respond to this thread if I have any questions about the customization process.

Kyle 

0 Kudos