How do I input a map created from ArcMap into a Storymap

Jump to solution
11-15-2016 05:52 AM
LucasDrewitt
New Contributor

I am working on a research project with the University of Exeter as part of my master by research project on the Story maps and potentially useful hazard and risk communication tools. I have created a map in ArcMap that I want to use within a storymap, it is composed of TIFF image files with geo-referenced information which I got from Digimap, however I don't know how to get this map from ArcMap into a Storymap.

I have turned it into a map package and placed it in my online account but I can't get it then to load into ArcGIS online where I can save it as a webmap for use in my storymap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to pull my hair out a bit,

Thank you

Lucas Drewitt (MbyRes Geography)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Lucas,

You will need to publish the map to ArcGIS Online in some form (or ArcGIS Server). Do you have an AGOL organizational account that you can publish to? Once you publish your map, you can then throw it into a story map.

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Lucas,

You will need to publish the map to ArcGIS Online in some form (or ArcGIS Server). Do you have an AGOL organizational account that you can publish to? Once you publish your map, you can then throw it into a story map.

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

LucasDrewitt
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the response, I think this is what I had to do. Unfortunately I don't have an AGOL organisational account to publish the service too and I think this is the problem. Is there an account I could publish to, I just need to get the map online as its important for my research with the University of Exeter.

Thank you,

Lucas

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

since it is an educational organization, you would be advised to contact them since they handle the license and would have an AGOL account I am sure for the institution or could associate you with one.  This is the software page, just go to the contact page ArcGIS (Desktop) - IT - University of Exeter 

LucasDrewitt
New Contributor

Thank you, will contact them now

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Adding to Adrian, I will also suggest publishing Static layers as Tiled layers using Publish a Tiled Service to ArcGIS Online w/o ArcGIS for Server or Utilizing Your Credits.

For operational layers, publish them with Feature Access.

Think Location