How can I copy a Story Map AND all associated assets to a different server?

05-16-2016 12:39 PM
PamRichmond
New Contributor III

We are researching the path forward to allow individuals to create story maps on their own Portal servers (development servers), and then copy the associated assets (e.g., the story map itself, PDF files, JPEGs, web maps, feature layers, shapefiles, etc.) to a different Portal server (production server).

It seems there isn't an officially supported way to do this, but I'd like to find out how we can do this manually, even if it requires database or filesystem changes. I know AGO Assistant provides a way to copy individual items such as the story map, but this didn't work when I tried to copy the story map between different accounts on the same server (perhaps because of permissions). Though it did work to copy a map and a story map app within the same account, that isn't the scenario we need, and the same method did not work for copying data such as a feature layer. This method also retains the links to the original data. We don't want to link to the original data and files -- we want the the production version completely detached from the development version. And re-creating the entire story map isn't a viable option.

Is it possible to manually copy the story map and its associated data/assets to a different server? If so, what are the steps to do it?

Tags (3)
2 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Use AGO, but edit in JSON, and replace old data sources with new. I've had good luck changing data sources AND copying content to different accounts that way.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Pam,

Yes, Thomas's solution does work. I've had an unpublished blog post for a while that I've shared privately with a few people who have asked this question. Since this keeps coming up I figured I should just publish it, so a link is below. The article describes the details of how to use AGO Assistant to copy items and edit JSON to copy a story map and all assets from one Organization or Portal to another and get it working.

https://medium.com/@OwenGeo/how-do-i-copy-a-story-map-from-one-organization-or-portal-to-another-440...

GeoJobe also has a nice tool called Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online that's available in the ArcGIS Marketplace, and the Pro version of that tool will clone applications from one place to another without the messy JSON editing.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps