Creating a Filter story map for each layer

04-09-2014 09:40 AM
CarolineVallieres
New Contributor II
Hello,

I was wondering if its possible to create a separate filter storyboard for each of the layers I have on the 'main' map.

I am making a map for a client with filters for each layer (one is vacancy rate, one is building type etc). When I open the filter storyboard, all the filters appear and it might be confusing for the client (I want to keep it as simple as possible).  I don't want the client to go back to the 'main' map and turn layers on and off in order to have their specific filter appear in the storyboard.

At the same time, I want the 'main' map to have all the information.

Thank you,
Caroline
0 Kudos
6 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
Are you trying to use a specific template? I think that shortlist template could be what you are looking for. You could have a first tab that display all your data and the other tab focusing on a specific dataset/layer.
0 Kudos
CarolineVallieres
New Contributor II
I am using the filter template because I want the user to be able to 'Filter' based on the data.

For example, if we have 100 points with different vacancy rates, and they want to know the points between 5-10% vacancy rate, they are able to enter that with a filter and after they only see the related points on the map.

Is this possible with the shortlist app? Also, the app will only be accessible to those in the group, and on the website it says this app needs to be public. I am also trying to use the web app that are embedded in online gis as to avoid installing something on the enterprise server (for now). 

I will try the Finder app as well.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry I didn't realized you were referring to the Filter template. That's not a storymaps one (see storymaps template list), so your question would have more chance to get an answered in ArcGIS Online forum.

One storymaps template have end-user filter functionality: Playlist.
0 Kudos
Pía_ZenaidaVirginia
New Contributor II
Hi, if you use the shortlist template, you have to make a layer por each rate you want to filter so shortlist will display tabs and points for this rates. I don´t think this is the best solution. What problem do to have using filter template?

Virginia
0 Kudos
CarolineVallieres
New Contributor II
Thank you for the clarifications 🙂

The problem with the filter is that I would like to make one filter map per layer, but because I have many layers in my online map, all the filters I created with all the layers show up in the final filter map.

So, I was wondering if I can somehow share the map per each of the layer's filters.
0 Kudos
Pía_ZenaidaVirginia
New Contributor II
Hi, why do you manage many layers? what represent each layer? (vacancy rate per year?). I think you have to prepare one filter template for each layer and identify clearly in the title what layer is about: "vacany rate for year 2013" (example) so avoid mistake by the users.
0 Kudos