Dynamic Legend - alignment issues

03-18-2015 05:38 AM
GeorgeSiskos
New Contributor

Hi fellow GIS users

I have been trying to create a dynamic legend for my maps  but I am having some major issues with the alignment of the text and symbol

The key needs to fit to a specific width so I have to wrap the labels in Layout properties (see Image1 before wrapping), the issue arises because you wrap the text the symbols are no longer vertically aligned (see Image2 after wrapping)

My question therefore is, Is there a way of making the symbols align vertically between multiple columns using dynamic legend.

(Image 1)

Image1.jpg

(Image 2)

Image2.jpg

Thanks

George

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GeorgeSiskos
New Contributor

Has anybody got an answer for my question above?

0 Kudos
JamesPierce
Occasional Contributor II

I thought I had the answer earlier, but I discovered something else.  Spatially, as you add text rows to one column, it will become more and more misaligned.  You could try to correct the misalignment by adding ghost characters to corresponding horizontal items in the first column.  Start from the top down.  You may want to do this in the description field so as not to mess up the original naming.  When you do this, only use the Wrap descriptions check box to ensure continuity.

Not sure this will work entirely, but preliminary testing was favorable on my end.  This is a bunch of work for sure, I agree that the wrap functions could use some work.  I used to achieve similar results using carriage returns (Control + Enter) in the description field before word wrapping was available.

DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

I think this happens because the patch (symbol) and the labels that go with it are treated as a unit/ single item. With wrapped text there's no telling how many lines of text you will end up having, so if the patches were kept in place the text could end up overlapping other text.

In addition to the workaround James proposed, another workaround is to convert the legend to graphics, ungroup as needed and edit to suit. Of course, converting the legend to graphics means it will no longer be live, so there's a trade-off.

0 Kudos