Bug: Field Calculator in Layout Mode

10-23-2017 03:02 AM
PaulCote
New Contributor III

Since ArcGIS 10.0,  I have noticed that using Field Calculator on selected rows while in Layout mode causes all rows to be calculated, not just the selected ones.  The behavior when in Data View calculates values for selected rows only.

This looks like a bug to me.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Interesting observation, ff that is the case (not tested fully)

This is also a great find and a useful workaround for wanting to retain a selection in a table, but wanting to do a field calculation on the whole field.

It is not unexpected however, since the table and map document isn't the focus when in layout mode.

In this case... bug? or great find?  tough call

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't reproduce the issue in ArcMap 10.1. Tried to run Field Calculator for selected points in Layout View. The results are as desired, i.e. the values were calculated only for the selected records.

Think Location
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi pbcote‌.

As jayanta.poddar‌ explained, I am also not able to reproduce this behavior.  I recently rolled back from ArcMap 10.5.1 to 10.3.1 for some testing, and don't see what you're describing at 10.3.1.

Dan_Patterson‌ thank you for referencing this post from the idea.  I'll cross-reference https://community.esri.com/ideas/14111‌ here as well. 

Paul, for this one, I'd recommend logging a case with technical support to troubleshoot the issue.  I did a search and have not found any behavior that sounds similar to what you're describing.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
PaulCote
New Contributor III

Thank you all for your testing.  

This is embarrassing!  Now I can;t reproduce this unexpected behavior of  layout mode field calculator on my computer at home.  My observation of this problem has been on the ArcMap installations at Tufts.  

Sorry for the false alarm.  I'm marking this question as answered.

-pbc