Convert ArcGIS data to CAD using FME

08-12-2020 02:08 PM
BRHolmes
New Contributor II

I am trying to convert Public Land Survey System (PLSS) township or section data (shapefile or file geodatabase feature class) into a DWG or DXF file for our cadastral lead using FME Workbench on Citrix.  I generate a new workspace with Reader Format ESRI Shapefile (for example) and Writer Format Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF.  Both coordinate systems are NAD83 Idaho State Planes, East Zone, US Foot [EPSG #2241], so I set that for both Reader and Writer.  I set Writer parameter to Extended Entity Data.  When I bring output back into ArcMap or ArcPro, annotation table is empty and test dataset shows up off the coast of Nigeria.  Our CAD person says same thing (that the dataset does not seem to have a coordinate system and no text attributes).  Not sure what I am doing wrong.  I started with Export to CAD in ArcToolbox, but was having no luck so I switched to FME and still no luck.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Please make sure your DWG/DXF writer has set the coordinate system storage parameter to 'External PRJ'.  Coordinate System Information 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is right.  You can find that setting under Parameters... > Advanced.

As for the annotations, you can try using a GeometryFilter transformer in FME too check if there are texts recognized in your shapefile or featureclass.

Regards,

Julius