Is it possible to calculate attributes based on polygons on the left or right side of a line?

07-12-2021 06:43 AM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm working on our road/address data management system, and some of the fields of my road centerline identify the attributes of polygons on either side of the road centerline.  For example, Subdivisions, Zip Codes, Postal Cities, and Municipalities.

I'd like to create an attribute rule to automatically populate this data when creating or updating a line feature.  It would be easy enough to identify the intersecting polygon, but can I do so for polygons on the left or right side of the line based on the direction of digitization?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You should consider using the ESRI address data management solution.  You can craft an attribute rule to fire when you add a site address point that picks up underlying polygon data.

That should just about do it....
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks.  I've built ours from Esri's solution, and I'm doing a lot of calculations for our point features based on intersecting polygons.  I'm just wondering if it's possible to specifically identify polygon features on either side of a line to populate fields like CityLeft, CityRight, etc.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not that I'm aware of.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos