Select to view content in your preferred language

mxd to pmf issues

05-21-2014 11:40 AM
Amber_Smith
New Contributor
Trying to make a PMF for a non-network share. I have .lyrs saved to a folder in the :C drive and created a PMF. When I send to compressed fold to email to a client and he places it in his :C drive and attempts to open the PMF, he gets an error that says it can not access some of the data. Giving me a relative path error.

Can someone please tell me how/where to save the necessary files so that I can get rid of the error?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Honored Contributor
You have to use relative path names. Make sure you enable relative path name before you save the mxd. Go to File-Map properties-Data Source-Store relative path names.

When you save your data make sure you save the project to the same drive letter where your data will be stored. When you create the CD, make sure that the application is in the same position in the directory hierarchy relative to your data. This means that file based data including coverages, shapefiles and personal geodatabase layers must be stored on the same drive unless you are accessing data within an organisation via a fixed set of standard corporate drive letters.
0 Kudos
Amber_Smith
New Contributor
Enabled the box and still have the same error. Saved the data to a folder on the :C drive and burned straight to disc and the data receiver placed the folder in the same place and we are still getting the pop up error attached.
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Frequent Contributor
You might want to try the "Consolidate Map" tool under Data Management>Package and consolidate everything into that C drive folder.  Then create the PMF.  You stated you have .lyr files there; layer files are really just shortcuts to other layers and this may be your problem.  You need the feature classes in that C drive folder.
ZakK
by
New Contributor

This worked for me!  Thank you!

0 Kudos