Select to view content in your preferred language

Using ArcPad 10. I need good accuracy without performing any post processing, what should I set my GPS preferences too?

10-25-2015 07:44 PM
SaraHamidovic
Deactivated User

I am using a Trimble Geo 7X with ArcPad 10.2. I have Floodlight, NMEA, and H-Star all activated. I would like to get the most accurate data possible without performing any post-processing in arcmap. I am new to using ArcPad and any type of GPS device for that matter, so I apologize in advance.

Here are my GPS Preferences:

Protocol: NMEA 0183 or SiRF

Port:     COM2 NMEA Serial Port

COM3 GNSS Serial Port

COM 4 Correction Serial Port

Baud Rate: 110-256000

Quality Tab: DGPS Only, RTK Float or Fixed, RTK Fixed, PPS Only

Datum: D_WGS_1984

Anyone know what I should set my preferences to in order to get the most accurate data (and how accurate my data will actually be? sub-meter, centimeter?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PaulLohr
Frequent Contributor

Sara, thank you for the question.  It is quite broad so I can't cover all of what you will need to know to get started. Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

I use the Trimble Positions for ArcPad extension. That is likely to be needed if a straightforward solution to the best accuracy is desired. Most of the settings above will be handled by this extension. Other settings within this extension will help you obtain the best possible accuracy.

If someone has found in the Trimble Positions documentation what the best accuracy possible is, please share that with us. I have not found it. The only references to accuracy that I found include no support for centimeter level accuracy and RTX is supported but not RTK. But I am pretty sure that RTK is supported in spite of the documentation. My guess would be decimeter (0.33 feet) accuracy is possible. Keep in mind this is a guess.

http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-527441/022516-043J_GIS_ProdSolns_Comp_BRO_US_101...

If you have Terrasync centimeter edition, that is the shortest path to centimeter accuracy. But you asked about ArcPad so this may be irrelevant.

Have a great day,

Paul Lohr

0 Kudos