Select to view content in your preferred language

Updating an axf file (ArcPad 8)

02-18-2011 07:49 AM
JuliaPresas
New Contributor
I have created a GDB and used the "Get data for ArcPad" tool to create an axf so that points can be collected in the field. Once the data is collected in the field, I use the "Get Data from ArcPad" tool to import the field collected data back into my GDB. If I then modify the data in the GDB (ie, add comments) can I push the updated GDB back out to the existing AXF? Right now, it seems like I have to create a new AXF and my the custom forms in my AXF do not carry over. I do not want to manually copy past the forms into the new AXF every time the geodatabase is updated.

Thanks, Julia P
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III
The custom forms should copy into the new .axf. When you check out, click the checkbox to pick a form. Place a copy of your current .axf somewhere for reference and choose that .axf to copy your new forms in that image. When your done, save the map and every time, you will be able to use that map w/o navigating back to that .axf as long as you keep the original .axf that the copies will be made from.

All the forms will copy, but if you need to include DBf's, they will not copy, but if you need dbf's, what you can do is keep the same folder (ex DataForArcPad1) in ArcPad. Use the same map and everything and just switch out the .axf file and nothing else. All the dbf's will be in the appropriate places if they are needed.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
How much of the schema is modified when you modify the data in the GDB after checkin? Depending on how much the schema has changed, you should be able to re-use the customizations from previous AXF checkout when subsequently performing checkouts by utilizing Layer Definition Template checkbox as shown in screenshot below. When checked, the Open Layer  dialog is displayed allowing you to choose an existing Layer Definition from a  shapefile or ArcPad AXF file to be used as a template. This allows you to re-use  forms, scripts, icons, and other layer definition elements.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4945[/ATTACH]

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos