Select to view content in your preferred language

Moving data from arcpad to arcmap

03-24-2013 10:24 AM
jeremy-
Emerging Contributor
I'm very new with using arcpad. I have a device with arcpad 8 on it and I plotted a series of gps coordinates in a quickproject and need to move the data over my pc to use with arcmap 10.1. I've copied the data over from the device, but the .shp files arent showing any data, nor are the .dbf files. The data still displays fine on arcpad, though. Can anyone help out with getting the data exported properly from arcpad to arcmap? Thanks.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Are you copying over every file extension that makes up the shapefile?  You will want to bring over the entire folder to your machine for viewing in ArcMap, not just the .shp file extension component.

Matt
0 Kudos
jeremy-
Emerging Contributor
Matt, I have copied over the entire folder including the .dbf, .prj, .shx, . apl, and .cpg files for points, lines, and polygons. The weird thing is, the .dbf file has no information in it. I'm not understanding why there would be no information stored in the .dbf file, yet it displays perfectly on arcpad on the trimble.
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
Are you able to open the shapefile in the desktop install of ArcPad?  Try adding just the data.  Do not open the .apm if you have one created.

Matt
0 Kudos
jeremy-
Emerging Contributor
Am i required to have an arcpad installation on my desktop in order to import the data from the trimble? I do not have arcpad on the desktop, just on the device. Once again, I'm very new to using this.
0 Kudos
MatthewPayne
Esri Contributor
If your data is shapefiles, there should not be an issue.  Shapefiles can be copied back and forth from ArcMap to the mobile device and back quite freely.  If you are using geodatabase feature classes you will want to have the ArcPad Data Manager extension installed and licensed so that you can "Check Out" and "Check In" data. 

What happens if you go back to the mobile device, close down all ArcPad related windows, re-open ArcPad, and try to re-open that data?  Does it still display fine?

Matt
0 Kudos