Select to view content in your preferred language

Find tool strange behaviour

04-16-2013 05:55 AM
GregorBilban
Deactivated User
Hi,

I have noticed strange behaviour of "Find Tool" (binocular icon). I'm using ArcPad 10 for navigation in the field, ie. locating points that I have in Shapefiles. So, I open map in ArcPad, attach required Shapefiles and then click on Find tool. Find window that opens is devided into several tabs (first, all feature classes and attached Shapefiles are listed, then there are tabs "Query", "Results" and "Location"). I want to find for example feature "Manhole" with "Name=123". So, I open "Manhole" tab and enter "123" into attribute field "Name", and click <OK>. But then ArcPad opens a dialog box "A value field must be supplied for the field xxxx". Even if I fill-in all attributes, ArcPad still insist on "A value field must be supplied for the field xxxx" if I click <OK>.

What I want is that I open tab "Manhole", enter appropriate Name and with <OK> I can navigate to this manhole. Or, if I open tab "Manhole" and enter no attributes at all, and just click <OK>, I get a list of all manholes arround my current position.

With trials and errors I discovered that only possibility to use Find tool is that when I open Find window I must immediatelly select tab "Querry" (I must not click any other tab). Then I have to select layer "Manhole" (if necessary I enter criteria in the fields "Field" and "Value"), but then I must not click <OK>, because I again receive message "A value must be supplied for the field...". Instead I have to move to "Results" tab with pen and only then my objects are shown in a table.

I find this pretty annoying behaviour. I hope it can be done also in a much prettier way, so ArcPad will be used also for navigation and not only in data-collection tasks.

What do you think? Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Grega
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies