Failed to load AXF layer to ArcPad

08-22-2011 01:31 AM
VojkanGajovic
New Contributor
Dear all,

I have a problem with ArcPad. When trying to load a ArcPad map with layers checked out for editing as AXF layer, I constantly receive the error: "Failed to load 1 layer(s)". First I thought it was something with my data, but I have tried on completely new geodatabase (File, Personal, ArcSDE) with completely new feature class. The check out process from ArcPad Data Manager is fine, it doesn't give any error and warnings. But, when I try to load AXF layer in ArcPad, both through map or add data, it gives me an error (look at pictures attached). Funny thing: when I try to do all this on ArcPad installed on my notebook, everything is working. I have also tried previous versions of ArcPad (10.0, 10.0.1, 😎 and still the same error. I am using ArcInfo 10 with SP2 on Windows 7 Professional and ArcPad 10.0.2 on Trimble Juno ST (also have tried it on Trimble Nomad).

Any suggestions, possible solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Vojkan Gajovic
GDi GISDATA Belgrade
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ToddStuber
Esri Contributor
Hi Vojkan,

If the AXF file is opening properly on the desktop and not on the mobile device it could be that SqlCE was either not installed on the device properly or not installed at all.  Because an AXF is a small relational database built on SqlCE, this installation on the mobile device is required in order for ArcPad to read the file properly.  Try re-installing SqlCE to the mobile device through the Deployment Manager and see if it helps.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vojkan.gajovic

Hi Todd!
SQL Compact Edition is installed properly on both on Trimble Juno ST and Trimble Nomad (Trimble Nomad is brand new, just taken out of the box, and ArcPad 10.0.2 is first installation on it). I've reinstalled compete ArcPad 10.0.2 both on desktop and mobile device, but still the same errors occurs.

Thanks for helping!
0 Kudos
BlairHornung
New Contributor II
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I am having the exact same problem.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vojkan.gajovic

Dear all,

once again I have run onto this same problem, now with 10.2 versions of ArcGIS for Destkop and ArcPad. I have tried every possible and impossible scenario of creating AXF and checking out data from ArcGIS for Desktop for editing with ArcPad. I have tried on following software/hardware environment:
- OS: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012;
- Mobile OS: Windows Mobile 6, 6.1, 6.5;
- ArcGIS for Desktop: 9.3, 9.3.1, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2;
- ArcPad: 8.0, 10.0, 10.2;
- different workstations and servers, even fresh-ones, first time used;
- Trimble Juno, Trimble Nomad, Trimble GeoExplorer, Pidion Bluebird BIP 6000;
- Shapefiles, Personal Geodatabases, File Geodatabases, ArcSDE Geodatabases;
- install/reinstall Microsoft SQL Server Compact 2005, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005...

Any kind of combination of these variables gave me the same result: when checking-out data from ArcGIS for Desktop using or ArcPad Data Manager Toolbar or geoprocessing tools, I receive message that everything is successful. When I load ArcPad map and/or AXF into ArcPad on mobile device I receive same old error  "Failed to load 1 layer(s)"... When doing that on desktop computer, it works fantastic. On mobile device, where it is meant to work, NO!!!! :mad:

I expect of Esri to deal with this as soon as possible, since this is not first time that I write here, nor previous communication with Esri guys gave any result.

Best regards,
Vojkan
0 Kudos
RoyKing
New Contributor

Hey Guys,

I have this same issue. I am using Trimble Kenai tablets with windows 10 OS and ArcPad 10.2. I created projects in ArcMap 10.3 and used the ArcPad data manager to transfer the projects to my desktop for loading onto the tablets at a later date. On my desktop, the projects work fine, same ArcPad program as the tablets. When I loaded the projects onto the tablets, they worked fine the first time I opened them, then I started getting an error: "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition initialization error 80040154. ArcPad will operate with some functionality disabled." After that, I get the "Failed to load 1 layer(s) .apx" message and the editable layer that I need to work with will not load. I need some advice on how to fix this problem. I tried unchecking the "Check SQL engine on startup" box under ArcPad>Options>General tab, however that only made the 80040154 error message go away but did not let the .apx layer load. Advice/Help/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RoyVern

0 Kudos
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor

The initialization error that is described here is to do with the SQL Server CE installation. Be sure that you have version 3.1 installed. This is installed when you install ArcPad. Look in Add/Remove Programs to be sure what version you have. Consider whether there's a possibility that you may have upgraded the version of SQL Server CE on your machine for some other purpose (another app perhaps).