ArcPad Not Checking Out Data

05-25-2012 06:48 AM
JeffGarcia1
New Contributor II
We recently upgraded to Arc 10 desktop from 9.3.1 and now I'm having problems with ArcPad 8. It will not check out data correctly and some new functionality and options and now in my wizard. I'm kind of confused right now looking for some help

ArcInfo 10  SP 3
ArcPad 8
GPS Correct version 2.41
Microsoft ActiveSync version 4.5
Windows XP

First having to save a mxd is new to me. All I did in the past was create a session (working with ArcSDE multi-versioned DB) and check out data and check it back in with no problem. No I'm having to create an MXD and still create a session? I'm not sure. Checking out the data takes a while now for ActiveSync to sync itself up and still does not come over correctly. Adding the data gives me an error. Try to add the axf file and then red X appears in the box. So I got nothing.

Initial Questions Are
Do I need to find some updated software first?
What is the functionality now of creating a MXD and still having to create a session?
What is the AXF file?

Been away from GPS'ing for a while since are Engineers do this but being a GIS guy I have to find some solutions. I apperciate any thoughts\tips that can lead me in the right direction.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Eloy,

There's probably a handful of things that are playing a role in your confusion.  You should be all set with software (although you can use up to GPScorrect v3.16 with ArcPad 8), no need to install or upgrade anything.

First of all, prior to ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 there were two toolbars which you could use to check out data for ArcPad.  The first was the short, 3 button toolbar called the "ArcPad toolbar".  This was the very first toolbar that was released when ArcPad first hit the market.  It did not require that you save your mxd and it allowed you to check out / check in edits from data in shapefile format OR data within a geodatabase.

With the release of ArcPad 7.1.1 we introduced the "ArcPad Data Manager" toolbar.  This toolbar will only check out and check in edits from a geodatabase (you can check out shapefiles and edit them, but their edits cannot be checked in and reconciled with the dataset it came from) and stores the data in an axf file.  At ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 the ArcPad toolbar was deprecated (because of a lack of support for functionality written in VB) so you're forced to use the ArcPad Data Manager toolbar.

An axf file is a small database format based upon Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition.

To check out data which you intend to edit in the field and then check back into the database it came from, your data must be checked out using the option "Check out for disconnected editing".  If you attempt to check out your data and don't see this option, it means that the spatial reference of that particular feature class does not match the spatial reference of the data frame of your map document.

You'll also see options for "Background Shapefile > Editable" and "Background AXF > Editable" but don't let this fool you.  You'll be able to edit that data in the field, but you WON'T be able to check it back in.  You'll just be left with a stand-alone file.

Based upon the information you provided I'm really not sure why you were getting the errors that you were seeing.  I'm also not sure how you were copying the data over to your mobile device, but I would suggest that you manually copy and paste the data (the output "DataForArcPad" folder that is created by the wizard) from your desktop machine to your mobile device via ActiveSync.

I would suggest that you create a brand new feature class in your geodatabase and run it through a test check out.  Check out the data, copy to your mobile device, open in ArcPad, make an edit, copy the data back to your device, and check it back in.  At the point you get this process working successfully on a new feature class, start testing with your existing data.

Another test you can do is to open the axf files in ArcPad on your desktop machine.  Do they open there but not on your mobile device?  If this is the case you'll want to make sure that you have installed "SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile" via the ArcPad Deployment Manager.

If you go through this process and have any more questions or problems, please feel free to respond with as much info as possible and we can get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
JeffGarcia1
New Contributor II
Alright back to this problem...

I'm deploying through ActiveSync the feature class layers for GPS to answer one of your questions and yes I see the option to check out data for disconnected editing . Still not seeing the data populate my GPS device but I can get to the data through ArcPad on my desktop.

Another test you can do is to open the axf files in ArcPad on your desktop machine. Do they open there but not on your mobile device? If this is the case you'll want to make sure that you have installed "SQL Server Compact for Windows Mobile" via the ArcPad Deployment Manager   I have ran this option and re-installed the components and still no luck. Not able to load the data from the add layers dialogue, when I check the box it returns a red stop sign thingy and I 'm stuck at that point. I receive an error message of, �??Cannot copy axf. Make sure your mobile device has sufficient memory, that the file is not set as read only, and that you have permission to copy this file type.�?�

I cannot create a layer inside our production DB because of policy\procedures but exported into a FGDB a couple of our feature classes that always get GPS'd and I would get validation errors on the existing data. I see that this could be a problem in the GDB setup but will it also be a problem in the ArcSDE versioned environment.

So to recap still not able to see data on the GPS unit but able to see it in ArcPad on my desktop. Have ran the component via the deployment manager and still no luck. Using ActiveSync to copy of data to my GPS unit. Any more help or thoughts will be apperciated.
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Eloy,

What mobile device are you using?

I'd create a brand new file geodatabase, new feature class inside the gdb (with very simple schema, one field for example), and attempt to check it out and open it in ArcPad on your mobile device.

If you get the same behavior with that brand new geodatabase, I'd highly recommend a factory reset of that device.

Edit:

And by "factory reset" I'm referring to a reset you can do yourself to wipe the device clean, back to the state it was in when you first bought it.  NOT sending it back to the factory.
0 Kudos