ArcPad Dictionary/.axf Not Loading.Does Number of Features Matter?

01-21-2015 08:05 AM
AmandaBuer
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

We are currently in the process of switching over from TerraSync to ArcPad software for our Trimble GPSs. I have created the axf file and am currently having troubles opening up the layers on the GPS device. Once I select the layers, I get an loading  wheel that doesn’t seem to go away. I also tried just making a map document (.apm file) in arcpad desktop opening that on ArcPad  on the Trimble and that also gives me a loading wheel that doesn’t go away. When I was first testing out our dictionary I tried only 7 features and it opened and worked perfectly fine. Our dictionary has 70 feature classes and  I am wondering if it is the number of features that may be causing it not to work? I hope this makes sense.

If someone would be able to assist me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisJensen
New Contributor III

My experience with Arcpad and Trimble handheld devices with Windows Mobile is that the Trimble hardware cannot handle very much Arcpad data.  I have resorted to the work around of installing Arcpad on a Windows 8  tablet and bluetooth the gps signals from the Trimble to the tablet.  Arcpad performs very well on a Windows 8 tablet, causes a windows mobile device to hang.  I would guess it is the lack of cpu speed and ram causing the problem.

I have been able to keep my geo 2005 series in service this way.

0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Amanda,

Are you saying there are 70 feature classes in the ArcPad map?​

0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III

Hola Amanda,

In my experience having a large number of field, domains, sub-types on the feature classes may cause such an issue. If you are interested, you can always submit a support case through Support Services. We can then look to access your data and troubleshoot this issue with you, and then look to post the results. I have used TerraSync/Pathfinder Office in my past life, and migrating to ArcPad is a very different environment in using data dictionaries. Gracias, Amanda!

http://support.esri.com/en/

Juan

0 Kudos