04-26-2016 11:11 AM
ManojPant4
New Contributor

can we cut polygon in arcpad??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I've snapped to a line segment and saved the segments, so it might be possible, programatically.  But depending on your use case, and whether you need the split poly in your collection process, it might be better to collect the line segment that you need to use in the split, and do some post processing.    Just a suggestion.

I still use 7.1.1 in a highly customized set of .vbs files, and I don't recall if you can create polygons on the fly or not, but if you can, anything is probably possible is you get down to an array of the points.

0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Regular Contributor

Yes, we can do that!

Check out this cool tool from the ArcPad Team: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=51582e1301934443bb54f767e88deeac 

Hannah

JohnKabubo
New Contributor

Dear Hannah / Rebecca.

This is helpful but is limited to a two vertex cutter line. Can you make it work with multiple vertices cutter? I also note that this is the same as the sample that ships with ArcPad and can be found under: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.0\Developer\Samples\Applets. Thanks. John

0 Kudos
AndrewDuncan
New Contributor III

Hannah, yes this tool does cut the line but it does not just cut the line where the "cutting" line crosses the line to be cut. The cutter projects the cut across all lines in the editable layer slicing and dicing your whole map. This can produce disastrous consequences and end up making a lot of work trying to rebuild you map. I have also found that on check in back to ArcMap that the unique ID in the new cut lines must be in conflict as several of the cut lines vanish and you start loosing much of your line work. Not very useful.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It 's good to know about the unique ID issues you ran into...I hadn't tried the sample myself, but will keep that in mind if I ever do.  But if you are talking object IDS, it doesn't surprise me...especially if not controlling the checkout with global IDS or something similar.  My work is typically on way...collection, not check-out/check-in, so I don't run into issues like that.  Each session creates its own unique folder and file structure, and then I merge the new data together, so OBJECTID are always unique.

it might help to have a few pics and a better description of what you are really trying to accomplish.  Your, "can we split by polygon" description is a bit vague.  Does the poly exist?  Are you drawing it on-the-fly? are you snapping from another feature? Are you selecting a line to split?

0 Kudos