Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcPad 8.0 Check In Edits FAIL

08-10-2010 11:51 AM
GregCorradini
New Contributor
Hello,
I've been using two Trimble GeoXH units (a 2005 and a 2008 unit) with ArcPad 8.0 sp3 to do major data collection over the past 10 months.  The workflow with ArcPad has been smooth until recently and I'm not sure where to begin trouble shooting.

I'm encountering two recurring problems at checkin time. First, the ArcPad toolbar in ArcGIS isn't enabled after I checkout data for editing and try to check it in the next day (i've tried this with and without field edits)  -- it's as if it doesn't recognize that anything has been checked out at all. This doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it's happening enough that it's a pain and there doesn't seem to be anything that I'm doing different during checkin/checkout process.

The second problem occurs when I checkout data for a large area on the 2005 unit. Maybe only part of this large area was updated/edited in the field. However, when I check the data back in the whole area that was checked out is deleted from the database (almost as if I took the data in the field and decided to delete it and then check it back in).

Any ideas about where to begin trouble shooting this problem would be helpful.

FYI
I'm using ArcGIS 9.3 and checking out data from an unversioned enterprise geodatabase.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KyleCollins
New Contributor
Greg,

I am not sure about this information, however, I will pass it along and you can check it out for validity.

We have three Geo's of the 2005 and three from 2008.   We use ArcPad 7 on the 2005's and ArcPad 8 on the 2008's.  Plus we use the two different ArcPad tool bars; the ArcPad, and the "ArcPad Data Manager" tools from AP8.

I was told when looking at the new Geo's that they come with AP8 but that it was not backward compatible with the 2005 series O/S and that the GPS correct version 3.10 was not compatible with the old operating system or GPS firmware.

We never actually tried updating any of our 2005 series, because of the possibility of such compatiblity issues, but I can imagine that the issues of which you speak, may be of this nature.

Let me know if you had any issues with upgrading the 2005 series and which versions you are using.
0 Kudos