ArcPad 10.2 on Windows Embedded 8

08-08-2016 10:49 AM
HeatherMorrison
New Contributor II

Does anyone out there have experience using ArcPad 10.2 on Windows 8 Embedded? We have it running on a number of 64-bit systems with 8 GB RAM and users are complaining about performance.

I don't see the embedded version of Windows listed specifically on the ESRI requirements page so I'm not surif it is supported.

Thanks,

Heather

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

Heather

It would probably be worth sending an email to Esri asking about Windows 8 embedded to be sure. As for the performance, 8GB should be plenty for ArcPad but it also depends on what other apps and processes are running in the background. I'd also look into what kind of data the users are pulling into ArcPad and from where. Data from network/Internet/usb drive/etc can have an effect on performance as well as large raster tiles and heaps of layers with large spatial extent and millions of features.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
HeatherMorrison
New Contributor II

Zoltan,

Thanks for your response. We have an inquiry in with ESRI about Windows Embedded 8, waiting on a response. We provide a pre-configured apm for users so we know that the same set of data layers have been working since the ArcPad 7 days. In addition, we have customized a data collection button that collects a point every minute at the current location and generates a new shapefile every 24 hours. What is strange is that users are reported scale issues, the map zooming without being initiated and layers flashing off and on. This is all new behaviour to me.

0 Kudos
zkovacs

Very strange. I assume these devices are touch-enabled which could explain the random zooming and layer flashing. Although I have never experienced anything like this, a buggy touchscreen driver would explain these sort of issues... (This could be tested quickly by disabling the touch interface/driver in Device manager.) If they are non-touch devices, then it is a real mystery...

0 Kudos
KatelynPage1
New Contributor II

I'm working with Heather on this issue and have a few more pieces of information. When we were testing the GPS unit on a laptop it seemed as though the GPS was acting as if it was the mouse on the laptop. The cursor was moving all over the screen and at times icons on the desktop would be selected. When we got the GPS config application open it said that we couldn't look at the configuration because the GPS was already open... Is it possible that something similar is happening with ArcPad and Windows 8 embedded?

0 Kudos
zkovacs

I presume you're using the latest, 10.2.3 version.

The behaviour described above is possible I guess, but the GPS receiver won't connect automatically by default if I remember right. You need to enable it manually to start using the positional information from it. (I don't know whether it's a heavily customised version of ArcPad, so it's hard to suggest troubleshooting tips.) If you have all the standard toolbars (Main, Browse, Navigation, etc) in ArcPad available, you should be able to disable the GPS receiver to see if it makes a difference. You will then be able to have a look at the receiver settings too. You can also try to disable the GPS chip in the laptop/device under Location services I think. Also might be worth having a look at the behaviour when using a brand new ArcPad document to see if the issue can be reproduced. I'd also check if there is an update available for the location sensor/Windows Location API.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos