mxExtension won't load

432
4
08-26-2013 07:34 AM
AlexanderGray
Regular Contributor II
Network security is putting the screws on the development group. Our main domain account no longer has admin rights, so we have a local user with admin to run visual studio.  We have a bunch of ArcMap customization started in the 9.3 days before addins.  The problem is the MxExtensions, we can compile and register them fine as the local admin account.  The load fine starting ArcMap under the network account.  The problem is ArcMap does not load the extensions under the local admin account.  That means if I start my app in debug mode (which starts ArcMap under the same account as VS) it doesn't load the extensions and I can't do any debugging...
Any one encounter this?  have a solution?
cheers.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
Are you running Visual Studio as an administrator?  I have to do this on several of our dev boxes when UAC has not been turned off.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Regular Contributor II
yes VS is running as a local admin account.
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
That's not the same thing exactly.  When you start VS, are you right-clicking the exe or shortcut and choosing Run As Administrator?  If you have UAC turned on you will need to do this even if you are a local admin or VS will not be able to register your components properly.  You can tell that VS has been started as admin if Microsoft Visual Studio (Administrator) appears in the title bar.  If UAC is turned off, then this is not necessary.  As far as I know, ArcMap loads whatever extensions are registered no matter what account is used to kick it off.  If your extension isn't present, then that usually means it isn't registered.  If you simply compile without starting the debugger does your extension show up under ESRI Mx Extensions in Categories.exe?  If so, remove it and compile again to see if it comes back.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Regular Contributor II
I am pretty sure UAC is turned on.  I do run VS using the run as.. an account on the local machine that has rights on the machine.  I have to do this for installing software also.  The problem is if I use that same account to run ArcMap (using debug for instance) it does not load the extension.  Commands and tools in the same dll load ok.  If I run ArcMap under the non-admin domain account, the extension shows up in the extensions list.  I ran categories.exe, I see the extension under the mxExtension categorie but I couldn't remove it.  I started categories.exe run as admin to clear it up and cleaned/recompiled the solution with the same result.
0 Kudos