Select to view content in your preferred language

Is Visual Stidio 2010 Express Supported?

08-19-2010 07:18 AM
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor
I am in the process to migrating to ArcGIS 10. I have a lot of VBA customization that i would like to convert to the new "add-ins" structure. 
Can i use VS 2010 Express or do I need to stick with 2008.  In the article below, VS 2010 Express is not listed as one of the supported IDEs.
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgissdks/10.0/system-requirements

Please Advise,
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DaveMcPherson
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jakub

In short, no, it's not supported. VS2010 Standard, Professional & Premium are all supported, but not  2010 Express, as it was released at about the same time as ArcGIS10.

VS2008 Express is supported - but has functional limitations, eg no debugging facility, as far as I understand.

Dave
0 Kudos
AndrewMay
Emerging Contributor
I would be suprised if you couldn't use VS2010 Express as long as you make sure you are targetting the .net 3.5 framework rather than .net 4.0 with your project.  I've not tried it so can't make any guarantees.

There is a way to debug using VS Express, see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/11414-Express-Edition-gt-cannot-debug-DLLs for details.
0 Kudos
DaveMcPherson
Occasional Contributor
The problem is that the SDK won't even install if you have VS2010 Express loaded. The installer pops up a window listing the supported versions of Visual Studio (which includes 2008 Express but not 2010 Express), then bails. ESRI have confirmed to me that it is not supported.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Honored Contributor
Thanks folks. I will go with the supported version. I just needed to know what to install and as  Aurecon pointed out the SDK will not even install without the 2008 version already installed.
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Frequent Contributor
If I'm reading this thread correctly, I cannot install any of the SDKs if I have Web Developer 2010 Express installed?  Has anyone tried installing Web Dev or any of the other express versions after installing the SDKs?  My concern is that in addition to developing add-ins for desktop, I also am working on a Silverlight application which requires some version of VS 2010 and we cannot afford to buy the full version.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Terry
0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcGIS Server 10 - Web Applications supports Visual Web Developer 2010 Express Edition.

ArcGIS Server 10 for the .NET Framework install guide

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Frequent Contributor
Hi Chris,

Yes, but if I need to do development for both server (specifically the Silverlight 2.0 api) and desktop apps will I need to uninstall web dev 2010 express, install the sdks and then re-install web dev 2010 and keep a copy of vs 2008 for the desktop work? 

And if so, any chance that SP1 will allow VS 2010 express?

Thanks again, TG
0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
If I understand you correctly -

No need to uninstall VS 2010 Web express.  The SDKs only check for the supported VS editions -  unsupported VS editions do not affect the installation one way or the other.

Your VS 2008 edition, VS 2010 Web Express, GIS Server - Web Apps, and Desktop/SDK can all co-exist on the same machine without any problems.

Thanks,

Chris
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Frequent Contributor
Hi Chris,

Yes, that's basically what I'm trying to ask.  From Dave's 2nd comment above it sounds like the desktop SDKs won't install w/ VS 2010 express editions on the machine.  We still haven't received 10.0 so I cannot confirm this, just trying to plan ahead.  Thanks again to all,

TG
0 Kudos