Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a dockable window

06-06-2010 11:56 PM
BarbaraRossi
Emerging Contributor
Hello everyone,
Today I wanted to ask if we could create a dockable window without having available the ESRI MapControl component.
I tried to follow the procedure shown in the following link:

http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisdesktop/com/COM/VB6/scenarios/dtop_dockable_win.htm

but since i don't have that component, I was wondering if I can do otherwise and if so how.
Thank you all.
Barbara
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BarbaraRossi
Emerging Contributor
Anyone can help me? Please.
Barbara
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Honored Contributor
The good news is that dockable windows will be fully available in version 10.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
NeilClemmons
Honored Contributor
Yes you can create dockable windows without the MapControl.  A dockable window can house whatever controls you would like for it to have.  If you're asking can you show a map in a dockable window without using a MapControl then the answer to that is also yes but it's a little complicated.  Basically, you have to use another control (such as a PictureBox or Panel) and activate the map (as an ActiveView) on that control's device context.

However, I'm curious as to how you don't have the MapControl.  It comes with ArcGIS Desktop.  Did you not install the Desktop SDK?
0 Kudos
BarbaraRossi
Emerging Contributor
Hi ksjosh82 and Neil,
thanks for your answers.

@Neil: I do not have MapControl, I think because I installed a version of ArcView 9.3  Student Edition.
I installed everything possible, but there wasn't Desktop SDK.

Anyway I managed to create the window but i do not see the map in it, even though all other functions are ok (as extents rectangles).
in the form that contains mapcontrol display there is wrote: " the LicenseControl is not used to inizialize this application whit a license. Please add the LicenseControl or programmatically use the AoInizialize object to initialize this application"
What can I do?

thanks for everything.
Barbara
0 Kudos