SHIFT POINTS USING SHIFT_DISTANCE AND AZIMUTH ATTRIBUTES

10-22-2023 06:42 PM
James_Blythe
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am using ArcMap 10.8.2.

I have a (point) dataset containing attributes including Shift_Distance and Azimuth.

I wish to move each of the points to its respective shift distance and azimuth angle with respect to the current position.

Could you please guide me to the appropriate tool.

Yours sincerely.

James Blythe.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

James_Blythe
  It seems like COGO tools may provide what you need. However, is the shift distance and azimuth actually a direction / distance that traces a path using the points as a connected line, or are they completely unique, with no real relation to each other in their locations, and not a distance and bearing? A sample would be useful if that is something that you can provide.

Regards

0 Kudos
James_Blythe
New Contributor II

Dear Jim Cousins,

Thankyou sincerely for responding to my post.

Each point has its own unique distance and angle and they have no real relation to each other.

Attached is a screen-snip of the attribute table.

Each individual row corresponds to a unique point.

For example, the highlighted point needs to be moved by a distance of 1.4725m at an angle of N16.139794W.

As you can see each individual point has its own angle and shift_distance that is unique from the others.

This is why I could not use COGO for this task - Each point has its own unique shift_distance and angle.

Do you know of a tool that can assist with this task?

Thankyou again for your time and effort to help me.

Yours sincerely.

James Blythe.

James_Blythe_0-1698098107589.png

0 Kudos
James_Blythe
New Contributor II

Attached is a picture in case the one in the post is not visible.

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I see. This requires coding to work with the shapefile, or conversion of coordinates or attribute table to a text file for application of geometry formulas SIN and COS in a spreadsheet or database.

Sorry I can't provide a better solution, James_Blythe

0 Kudos