Query Builder is blank for a 1 band tiff

Jump to solution
09-22-2021 04:25 PM
Labels (3)
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to use the Extract by Attributes (spatial analyst) GP tool (ArcMap 10.7.1) on a 1-band DEM raster, but I cannot construct a valid query in the Query Builder. No value "fields" are listed in the top of the builder to select from, and I cannot "Get Unique Values". Typing any variation of VALUE (Value, <VALUE>, 'VALUE') does not give me a valid SQL expression ("There was an error with the expression.").

The raster is a projected 1 band TIFF, 32 bit floating point, uncompressed, without a colormap. Pyramids and statistics have been generated, and the image displays fine in ArcMap and in the Windows Photo Viewer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
JoeBryant1

Raster Calculator does work (I used the Con method).

And I see that the output of the Raster Calculator (which has values of 1 or NoData) is able to be used as an input to the Extract by Attributes tool. The Query Builder lists "Rowid", "VALUE" and "COUNT" as value sources.

Any idea why this would be? Is Extract by Attributes not supported on certain types of rasters? Perhaps floating point?

Out of curiosity, I used Raster Calculator to pass all the value as-is to a new copy of the original raster. This new copy still can not be used as an input to Extract by Attributes. Which makes me think it has something to do with floating point versus integer, not because the raster is missing some underlying ESRI metadata. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if you have already come across Build Raster Attribute Table, which mentions

"You cannot build a raster attribute table for a raster dataset that is a pixel type of 32-bit floating point."

Think Location
JoeBryant1

I never would have found that. But I guess if that is the function that underlies the Query Builder embedded in the Extract By Attributes tool, that would make sense. Thanks.

0 Kudos