Projecting AGOL data on the fly in ArcMap

315
2
Jump to solution
12-18-2022 11:57 PM
Labels (1)
PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

Our organisation uses both ArcMap and ArcPro.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with ArcMap for a bit longer as we have a couple of critical tasks that cannot be migrated yet.  Everything else is done in ArcPro and ArcGIS Online

I am experiencing what I believe to be a projection issue when loading AGOL data into ArcMap.  The project on the fly does not seem to work well with AGOL data in ArcMap like it does in ArcPro. 

In ArcPro, if I load the AGOL feature service, and a downloaded version of the same feature service but projected to our organisations default (GDA94 MGA Zone 50), the project on the fly function ensures that the data sits on top of one another.  

However, if I do the same in ArcMap, the two datasets do not align.  Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a similar issue?  Do you know why it is happening and is there a fix?  Or am I just over cooking something.  

I carry out the re-projection function to get the AGOL feature service away from the native WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) coordinate system.  The reason I've started playing with the reprojections is because we were having issues with data shifting when it was being copied (Copy/Paste or Appended) from an AGOL feature service to a local feature class.  I noticed that projecting the data to the same coordinate system solved some of the issue.

Below are a couple of screen shots to visualise my challenge:
 - In both images the dark green line is the AGOL feature service and the dark line is my reprojected feature class.

ArcGIS Pro

PaulHarrison_0-1671435943603.png

ArcMap

PaulHarrison_1-1671436305869.png

 

Hopefully someone has some answers that may help me.

Regards

Paul.

 




2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

That looks like datum transformation issue.  Have you ensured that the transformation method is the same in ArcMap:

RhettZufelt_0-1671487052836.png

 

as you have it set in Arc Pro:

RhettZufelt_1-1671487069985.png

 

R_

View solution in original post

PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

G'day @RhettZufelt,

That was the issue.  ArcMap was using a GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 transformation which I thought should have been fine.  However, when I looked in ArcPro it was using GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 2 as the transformation.  ArcMap did not have GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 2 so I made a custom one by copying the spec's across.  It all lines up now.

Thanks heaps for giving me a nudge in the right direction.

Paul.

 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

That looks like datum transformation issue.  Have you ensured that the transformation method is the same in ArcMap:

RhettZufelt_0-1671487052836.png

 

as you have it set in Arc Pro:

RhettZufelt_1-1671487069985.png

 

R_

PaulHarrison
New Contributor III

G'day @RhettZufelt,

That was the issue.  ArcMap was using a GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 transformation which I thought should have been fine.  However, when I looked in ArcPro it was using GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 2 as the transformation.  ArcMap did not have GDA 1994 to WGS 1984 2 so I made a custom one by copying the spec's across.  It all lines up now.

Thanks heaps for giving me a nudge in the right direction.

Paul.