Select to view content in your preferred language

Legend - text disappears

Jump to solution
08-29-2022 04:23 PM
Labels (1)
AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

I'm having an issue with a legend in ArcMap 10.8.1. There is text that shows up in Layer Title in my TOC that won't show up in my legend.

The text is included in the layer title in my TOC. I also went into the Properties - Symbology - Legend for that layer and added the full text in the box "Label appearing next to the symbol in the table of contents:" It still doesn't show up.  I can look at my TOC and the layer properties and the full text is everywhere that I can put it, but in the legend, it cuts off the last word of just one of the labels. I experimented with adding and removing words from that particular label, and no matter what I do, it won't show the last word of the label in the legend.

If the label should say "Gray Wolf - Current Range" it cuts off "Range." If I change it to "Gray Wolf," it cuts off the word "Wolf," and just says "Gray" in the legend.  There should be plenty of space for the full label in either case ????  I tried just deleting the legend and making a new one, but the problem persists. 

This happened when I changed the label properties to Wrap Text and set a specific width for the labels.  However, it's not a matter of space. One of the other layers has a longer title, and I'm not having any trouble with that layer. And again, even if I shorten the text, it still omits the last word.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Anyone seen this before? I also tried shutting the app and restarting my computer. I tried exporting to see if it would still be erroneous in a printed map, and it is!

Thank you very much for your time and help!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a known issue. Can't find the bug/article but I recall it being tied to text wrapping or fonts...

Add a space to the end of the title and it'll appear e.g. change 'Great Wolf' 'Great Wolf '

Please don't forget the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a known issue. Can't find the bug/article but I recall it being tied to text wrapping or fonts...

Add a space to the end of the title and it'll appear e.g. change 'Great Wolf' 'Great Wolf '

Please don't forget the kudos 🙂

AvaFarouche
Frequent Contributor

omg! Thank you! I never would have figured that out! It did indeed work.

StephenKCA
Occasional Contributor

I am ecstatic to know the solution to this problem! It has been annoying me for years, since at least 10.5 and probably 10.1.