How to get more information breakdown when counting point features within a polygon?

Jump to solution
05-12-2021 04:17 AM
Labels (2)
RubénFerrero
New Contributor II

Hi, everyone.

I have several points (with their attributes) scattered in a map and some polygons (areas), spread as well. I know how to count how many of these points are contained within those areas, but i am not able to have the output according to a concrete attribute.

For exmple, each point is a people who do exercise. Each dot (person) likes football, cycling, gym or any other (attribute). The polygons are areas where people can easily excercise. I can get the number of people cointained within this areas (10 people for area 1, for example), but i would like to make a deeper analysis and i wonder how to know how many of those 10 in area 1 are cycling, boxing or gym.

Spatial join is not enough for this purpose and i did not find any help related. Could you please help me to attain it?

Thanks a lot!

Rubén.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RubénFerrero
New Contributor II

Thank you all for the responses and contributions! I got it but i had to refocus by doing an intersec operation. Now i have an output table with all the information and its detail...

I have learnt a lot with this simple issue (at least for me).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are the different sports in their own columns, or together?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RubénFerrero
New Contributor II

Please find attached a visual example. I have different people doing one exercise and each person has different properties or attributes. When i perform spatial join the table counts all the points within each one of the three zones, but the result shows them aggregated and each zone does not differentiate by person (with the attributes, such as sport, gender, age...) . I do not have the info dissagregated. Zone 1 will show 9, zone will be 6 and zone 3, 6 as well.

The data is contained in an excel file. Each row contains a person and its different attributes associated (in columns).

I hope the image helps to make clearer the doubt.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You would use the spatial join to join the AREAS to the POINTS not points to areas. You will create a new point dataset with all your point information and any area information such as place name. You then use the summary statistics tool setting the case to place name and sport type counting on the object id. This will create a table counting people breaking down by area then sport type. Then its just a matter of you playing around with the summary statistics tool.

0 Kudos
RubénFerrero
New Contributor II

Thank you all for the responses and contributions! I got it but i had to refocus by doing an intersec operation. Now i have an output table with all the information and its detail...

I have learnt a lot with this simple issue (at least for me).

0 Kudos