ArcGIS Pro Field Calculator crash

947
14
08-22-2018 12:56 PM
StephenSporik1
New Contributor

At version 2.2.1, I am having consistent issues running the Field Calculator on a feature class joined to a geodatabase table.  These two objects are based within two separate file geodatabases.  The Field Calculation is simple, setting the value of a text field equal to the value of another text field from the joined table.  The Field Calculation completes, and then ArcGIS Pro crashes.  It appears that the map tries to refresh after the Calculation and that is when ArcGIS Pro crashes.  When I open the project again, the changes to the field have persisted.  This crash happens every time no matter whether I run the Field Calculator from the Attribute table, from within a configured Task, or from the Data Management toolbox.

There are null values in the field basing the Join.  So I have also tried unchecking "Keep All Target Features" so the calculation would theoretically skip those. 

Any troubleshooting tips would be helpful.  

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although it shouldn't matter, are the field names the same or different in both tables?

0 Kudos
StephenSporik1
New Contributor

The fields names are the same, but I am using the table qualifier  ![tablename].[fieldname]! in the dialog because of the join.  Some additional info from further testing:

1.  The Feature Class is created during a configured Task using the Feature Class to Feature Class geoprocessing       tool.  Joining and calculating always crashes on that output feature class like explained above.  Copying that       output in the same geodatabase and running a join and calculate on the copied feature class does not crash       Pro.  

2.  If I manually run the Feature Class to Feature Class to create the output, the crash does not occur.

3.  I have tried pausing the Map drawing, and turning off all layers and the problem still persists.

Has anyone seen a configured Task become corrupt?  It seems to me that something about the Task is interfering with that feature class.  Even when the task is not running and after restarting Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Design a task item—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

have you experimented with step options? (just to see whether that has an issue... try manual)

And since you get a catastrophic crash with no error messages, I assume validation worked fine

Task item errors—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Stephen Sporik‌ are you able to provide more exact details, what types of fields, how the data is created, etc...? I just had a similar, but not exact, case involving joining tables that led to crashes. Are you sending the crash reports to ESRI? In my case sending multiple crash reports resulted in an immediate ESRI response, a more detailed steps to reproduce that involved video recording screen shares,  a TS case, a new bug, and development being pretty confident they have a fix. 

Take home message: Sending those crash report files does work. It's not like the close door button in an elevator.....

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you also joining tables between 2 different file gdbs when your crashes occur?  Do you get any crashes in this scenario when the join is between tables in the same file gdb?

0 Kudos
StephenSporik1
New Contributor

Yes, joined the offending target table to a table in the same geodatabse and had the same issue.  Any process that target table partipates in is now causing problems.  Its almost like a ghost lock is on the table.

0 Kudos
StephenSporik1
New Contributor

Yes I sent every error report to ESRI, they should have about 30 or so by now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

of course, if the join is the issue, making it permanent would remove that problem, allow you to do the calculations, then you can delete any fields you don't want.

Get it working first to isolate whether it is the join or something with the Task process

0 Kudos
StephenSporik1
New Contributor

Thanks to all for the feedback.  I just started over in a new project, and rebuilt the task and have not had problem since.  Will try to follow up with ESRI tho and get this logged as a Bug.  I have had some feedback from others offline where this has happened to them.

0 Kudos