Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS License Server Administrator - License Migration

4 weeks ago
DarrynField
New Contributor II

Good day,

My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong location. I work in ICT Technical support and have been tasked to migrate our existing ArcGIS licenses to a new server as part of our cloud migration. Unfortunately, neither I nor my GIS colleagues have performed this task before. I would try to contact ESRI support for assistance, but unfortunately, our parent department (we are a parastatal organization) provided our concurrent, permanent licensing and due to budget cuts was unable to include us in their new licensing/support contract.

I've followed the instructions from the ESRI website on transferring licenses from one License server to another but I keep running into an issue when attempting to transfer more than one. (i.e.: I can transfer 1 ArcGIS Desktop Basic license and it works but as soon as I try to transfer any more than that, it fails). I was hoping that someone in the community has come across this issue before and can perhaps provide a bit more info as to what I'm doing wrong and/or point me in the right direction to find out what the issue is. Granted, our software is outdated (ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1) but while we await funding for our own licensing/support contract, this is what our GIS Scientists and Technicians have to work with. Below is a screenshot of the licenses on the current server that need to be transferred. Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

DarrynField_0-1720557056972.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

When it comes to Esri getting their money, I've found them to be helpful 😉

Are you able to log into My Esri to see the your organization? Under "Overview", "Esri Contacts", you should find contact information for a Customer Service Representative who should be able to assist you with transitioning your licenses.

0 Kudos
DarrynField
New Contributor II

Hi Blake,

Many thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, we are unable to register on My ESRI because we are not the license/contract holder. Our parent department has this information and access. All we were provided with was the software, the license files, and a representative from ESRI South Africa to do the installation.

Regards,

Darryn

0 Kudos
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

What error/failure are you getting when you try and transfer your licenses?

Before you can transfer licenses from one License server to another, they will need to be deauthorised from the old license server before they can be authorise again to the new one. Please take a look at the below documentation regarding this, it should be helpful for you.

DarrynField
New Contributor II

Hi Shane,

Many thanks for the feedback. I will have to wait for Friday evening to give the transfer another try. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Regards,

Darryn

0 Kudos
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Hi Darryn,

That's great, please let me know how you get on and if you have any more issues.

0 Kudos