ArcGIS Desktop Layout View graphics not exporting properly

07-31-2019 07:55 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor III

I am trying to create a table in Desktop - layout view.  I'm using the Insert - Object - Microsoft Excel Worksheet options.

I'm able to create a nice - crisp table of data just fine.  I would like to have each line alternate in a yellow highlight to make things easier to locate.  This works just fine when creating, and adding to my map.Layout view of alternating Yellow/White table lines.

The problem lies in trying to export the map to a printable format.  (For one reason or another, I can not print my map as a large poster straight from the .mxd.  However, I was able to print a small version, and the highlighting prints out just fine.)

When I save the layout image as a .jpeg, .png, or a .pdf, the table background (that I set in my excel spreadsheet as alternating lines of white and yellow) shows as transparent. 

I was able to set the background as white, to eliminate the transparency, by right clicking on the table, Properties - Frame - Background set as white.  However, I would like to keep the alternating yellow highlighting that I can assign in the Excel file, and that also appears on the layout view.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi, Jeanette. 

What happens if you insert it as a picture element (Device independent bitmap, or an enhanced metafile)?

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Hi Jim,

I have attempted inserting an image of the table (.jpg, .png) as a workaround.  I do have inserted images on my map, and all colors/elements are properly represented when exporting the map.  However, the quality of the imported images become relatively more pixelated and chunky, which is why I was trying to use the method above with respect to the table.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you explored pasting as an enhanced metafile? I find that these are pretty clear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Hi Jim,

I have explored that option.  Usually I clip using the snip tool, and the options to save are limited and do not include .emf option.  Further, I have explored saving in excel itself and am not sure how to save the table as an .emf.  When I save the snipped item in Paint, there is also no .emf option. 

However, I can save a snip in Powerpoint as an .emf, but the ability to crop the image, or adjust the size of the slide, to only include the desired graphic is a very time consuming process, of which I have not been able to successfully perform as of yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have been having the same issue and have noticed that the problem is limited to the bottom portion of the map extent. When I move the same tables into the upper ~70-80% of the map extent then the table exports correctly. It is the bottom ~2 inches of my map extent (11x17 layout with approximately a 3 inch title block on the bottom, so 2 inches above said title block) that is giving me issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Regular Contributor

Select your data in excel.then apply a white background to all the cells, then add your alternating colour scheme to the excel rows. Copy and paste the selected data into arcmap layout view.

0 Kudos