after set null, values lost

10-01-2018 12:05 PM
DianaSinton
New Contributor

So this is a pretty basic raster processing question, and perhaps it shouldn't be in the "technical" section of GeoNet, but not sure where else to post it so here goes:

I have a geotiff that that has all of its "background" values available as part of the regular attribute table (they're not "null"). The geotiff is from CropScape (it's a cropland data layer). Via the symbology, I can have the background values not display, but I'd like a more permanent version of having those become the "null" values that they're supposed to be.

When I run it through SetNull it does what I want (convert background values to null values). BUT, it also loses the connection to the colormap (which came with CropScape) that had conveniently been automatically symbolizing the non-background values in the original version.  

1) Is there a way to reconnect the colormap to the new version to re-map based on the values? (I just don't want to have to manually enter the 50 different categories of landcover or lead students through a raster join...)  I've tried exporting the colormap from the original one and then importing it to the new one, but isn't working. 

2) Or, is there a way to run SetNull so that it operates on the value that you'd specified in the conditional statement (in this case, background) but doesn't otherwise lose the colormap link?

Thanks,

Diana

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

does the file have colormap?

Add Colormap—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

can you save the file to a layer file (*.lyr or *.lyrx for *map or *pro)? 

You can use  a layer file to symbolize the raster if you can get the symbology out.

Save To Layer File—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

DianaSinton
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro (2.2). The original file must have a colormap but I've searched and can't find the silly thing. When I create a *new* colormap (.clr) from the original file, I can see it in Windows, but when I try to "import" it within Pro (to apply it to the new setnull layer, the way you would with old .lyr files), it doesn't appear in the folder. 

At this point I've spent more time trying to fix this thing as I would have if I'd just typed the 50+ land use names in...

Diana

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos