Where are the Web AppBuilder configured widgets stored? Can we reuse configured widgets when changing theme of the Application?

12-17-2021 12:29 PM
LearnThenShare
New Contributor III

Where are the Web AppBuilder configured widgets stored? Can we bring over or reuse configured widgets when changing theme of the Application?  I do not want to have to reconfigure every widget just because I want to test other themes with the same configured widgets.  This is not with (Developer Edition) so I do not have the configured widgets stored locally.  Thank you for any insights you may have to share.

1 Reply
MichaelLev
Occasional Contributor III

@LearnThenShare ,

I don't understand your sentence "o I do not have the configured widgets stored locally"...

I am not an expert, but I have some experience, so I will tell my thoughts:

I have not tried to find an easy way to change themes and have the widgets arrange themselves automatically.

What I did instead - I examined the themes, and I have chosen the "Launchpad Theme" which most suited me,

and I am using it for a long time.

The widgets arrangement is done in some places -

In the config, either manually or interactively using the WAB "Configure App" pencil icon to enter edit mode, and select widgets and arrnge them. I did it once interactively, then I usually modife the config manually. I can there reorder them and I can put widgets on screen anywhere I want.

The config file has the arrangement details for each widget according to the selected theme. The selected theme appears at the top of the config.

Please note that the widgets are arranged in "classes" in the config, where the classes names are according to the theme. 

What I suggest to you, is to prepare different config files, each for a different theme. Then for each theme, use its config.

I am afraid that you can't switch between themes when the web app is running.

Each Theme has its folder in the top "themes" folder, where it has its special code for arranging the widgets. 

Pay attention that for widgets on the screen - only one can be opened at the same time.

The setup of each widget is done in  config.json in the widget folder, and in a folder per widget in the top "configs" folder, where the "config" folder have precedence, but this is not connected to the widgets arrangement on screen.