Web App Template Online Config

11-23-2014 04:34 PM
RichardHughes2
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

The other day I was watching the Esri video from a recent developer's conference and watched as the demo person showed the web app builder for the first time.  I've been aware of the EsriWAB for a while, but during that demo I saw something new.  There was a button to access the JSON for the widgets from inside the Builder.  I want to be able to do that so our group can agree on something before we export out the code.  Once the code is out I plan on spending my time learning how the stem app works so that I can further customize.

How are developers able to modify code and themes while the app is still inside of the Web App Builder?  Does it require that the Web App Builder is run on Portal?  I think that is does, but have not been able to find documentation on this.  When asking for a machine to install my EDN ArcGIS Server on, I would like to know before hand whether hosting the Web App Builder on Portal will provide any benefits over the AGOL version.  Or is this dependent upon being part of the Web App Builder Beta Community?  I am interested in joining that, but even then I don't know what benefits it provides over the AGOL version.  Anyway, once I join the beta community will I then be able to edit code from inside the WAB? 

Thanks,

R

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Richard,

There was a button to access the JSON for the widgets from inside the Builder.

That button was removed before the WAB made Beta 1.

How are developers able to modify code and themes while the app is still inside of the Web App Builder?

Depends in if you really mean CODE or are you just talking about configuring widget and the web app. If you are talking about CODE then you (currently) has to be part of the Beta program and using the developer version of WAB. The developer version does NOT require portal. You can use your AGOL services from my organizational account. The benefit of using the developer version is you can adjust the actual CODE and use custom widgets. The use of custom widgets is not currently supported using AGOL version.