Select to view content in your preferred language

Web App builder - Print widget error message

Jump to solution
08-05-2020 12:35 AM
JessNewton1
Emerging Contributor

Having problems with the Print Widget. 

I am using WebApp Builder in an Enterprise environment, the app i have created has the Print widget added but I keep getting an error when ever I try to print. I am using the default ESRI Service URL. I have tried different formats and layout options. 

The error message I get is 

We do have a pretty locked down Enterprise so I was wondering if this is a bug?? or something we have done in our settings?? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bives_rwu
Occasional Contributor

I know this thread is a few years old now. I wanted to add to the discussion for anyone else having this issue.

What worked for me was to toggle the service's sharing property from "Organization" to "Everyone(Public)" within the service properties. Save the setting as public. I tested the print widget and was able to get a print. Then I toggled the setting back to "Organization" and tested the print widget. I was able to get the print/map export to work.

bives_rwu_0-1691504138796.png

My service data that was causing the error message is within an Enterprise database that requires username and password to see the data. If I turn off my services withing the map application and use the print widget I can print successfully. This test and the log within server manager led me to knowing that my service was the issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Jess,

what is the url of the print service?

and what is the error message you are getting?

0 Kudos
JessNewton1
Emerging Contributor

Hi Tanu, 

Thanks for replying. Sorry I thought had attached the error message. 

The url I am using is: https://arcgis-map.infra.abs.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%20W... 

The error message is:

Error executing tool. Export Web Map Task: Failed to create layer from service at

https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Wor...

Failed to create layer from service at

https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Refe...

Failed to execute (Export Web Map).

Failed to execute (Export Web Map Task). 

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Jess.

So, it is the print service that runs within your domain.

As you mentioned you are in a pretty locked down environment and it looks like print service is being blocked to access any service running on arcgisonline.com.

Here is that I'd recommend:

• log (physically or remote desktop) on to your server machine where the print service is running
    • don't log using your account, instead using the ArcSOC account aka the account you chose to run all server processes when you installed ArcGIS Server on that machine.
      • if you are not the person who installed it, then an easy way to find out is to open the Task Manager, look for ArcSOC process and see the account running those processes
  • open a web browser
  • try to access those basemap service from arcgisonline
  • if you can't access them from the web browser, please reach out to your system folks and ask them to take a look

hope this helps.

Thanks

Tanu

0 Kudos
BlytheSpendlove
Regular Contributor

Hi Jess I had a similar problem. I am in an Enterprise Environment, and while the print service was working fine with normal internal feature layers, for any external layers (like from Living Atlas) where we entered an ArcGIS Online username to hardcode access (so that individual users of the web app don't have to enter their passwords), the print widget was throwing errors. Sharing our portal items for those external layers 'to the public' fixed the problem for us. It doesn't really share the layers to the public, since we are in an internal environment, just to our organization.

bives_rwu
Occasional Contributor

I know this thread is a few years old now. I wanted to add to the discussion for anyone else having this issue.

What worked for me was to toggle the service's sharing property from "Organization" to "Everyone(Public)" within the service properties. Save the setting as public. I tested the print widget and was able to get a print. Then I toggled the setting back to "Organization" and tested the print widget. I was able to get the print/map export to work.

bives_rwu_0-1691504138796.png

My service data that was causing the error message is within an Enterprise database that requires username and password to see the data. If I turn off my services withing the map application and use the print widget I can print successfully. This test and the log within server manager led me to knowing that my service was the issue.