Web App Builder - Configure Basemap Gallery - spatial reference

Jump to solution
03-03-2017 06:36 AM
AndySchmidt
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS online Web App Builder in the Configure Basemap Gallery I get a spatial reference error when adding a pass through service for a basemap "The basemap you are adding has a different spatial reference from the current map"  Previous maps/web apps built using web app builder display the services but I cannot create new base map services to new web apps.  The projections are the same.  Has anyone found a workaround or is this a bug with the recent update to ArcGIS Online. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mark, what exactly is your issue?  This method remains solid.

0 Kudos
MarkStelzel
New Contributor III

Maybe I'm missing something. I am adding an image service to a webmap as a layer then saving and sharing. The webmap now appears as an option in the basemap widget. The problem is that the image service layer seems to be ignored. Only the basemap of the webmap is being displayed. 

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Is the image service in the same WebMercator projection as the ArcGIS Online basemaps?

MarkStelzel
New Contributor III

It is not. I understand now that this workaround is for differing tiling schemes, not projections. That's disappointing. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes, initially it was. I have to serve a web mercator projected image service and then a local street reference layer also in web mercator.  I can then add those on top of the world imagery service and save that as my image basemap.  It can then participate in my custom gallery with world topo and streets, human geography etc.  Everything shows up as expected in the WAB basemap gallery.  For local Collector work like utility data that has to stay in state plane, I use a local state plane basemap, and then I just use a state plane projected image service as a layer.  It's all basically on auto-pilot at this point though.

MarkStelzel
New Contributor III

Thanks for the explanation. I was attempting to include a state plan projected image service as a basemap option with a few of ESRI's. I can do this without issue in AGOL webmaps and ArcGIS Explorer for iOS. It's annoying that we can't do the same in WAB. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Maybe, but I'd be careful about mixing basemap projections in a custom gallery. I can tell you that for our utility field editors we disabled access to the custom gallery because their edits would not post due to the fact that the utility layers participate in a geometric network and so can only work in state plane.  We can't have them jumping back and forth between projections in this case.

KarinaLivingston
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a similar issue. I followed all the workaround steps and I can now see my custom basemap in the gallery (we published as WGS84) but when we select it in WAB it draws on top of our utility layers. This happens when I make the custom basemap the reference layer on the web map but when I don't it is ignored. Does anyone have a suggestion or ran into this before?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

All I know is any layer in your basemap set as a reference layer will draw on top of any of your feature layers, map services, etc in the map.  That's by design and I think the only thing to do is not set as reference.

0 Kudos
CCGISCOOP
New Contributor II

So the moral of the story is this - even if ALL your data and ALL your imagery is all in the same projection (in my case State Plane) if I want to use my imagery in the AGOL WAB basemap widget I need to republish those services using the Web Mercator projection EVEN IF I DON'T WANT TO USE ESRI BASEMAPS... that's my understanding, is that correct? Why don't I have to republish my other services then as well (the non-imagery services)? (I don't want to, I'm just trying to understand.) It used to be so simple to create these applications, this imagery thing is kind of throwing a wrench in it. 

(Just so it's clear, all my data is in the same projection and I am not using caching on any service - imagery or otherwise.)

0 Kudos