Versions of WAB running on what version of Portal for ArcGIS

08-01-2017 10:40 AM
Shauna-RaeBrown
Occasional Contributor

We recently installed version 10.5 of Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS for Server. What version of Web AppBuilder (WAB) is running on Portal for ArcGIS?  Better yet, is there a table that shows which version of WAB is running on which version of Portal?  If there isn't a table, could someone at Esri, please, make a table in the documentation showing these relationships?  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Shauna-Rae,

You can check the version of WAB that is running by going to your browsers developer tools (F12) and in the Console > type "wabVersion" and enter the response will be the WAB Version (i.e. 2.4).

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shauna-Rae,

FYI: Web AppBuilder embedded within Portal for ArcGIS is typically a release "behind" Web AppBuilder that is embedded within ArcGIS Online. This is due to their software release cycles.

Clarifying 3 questions about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog 

(please see question 1)

In the case of Portal for ArcGIS 10.5, it contains Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS v.2.2.

> Better yet, is there a table that shows which version of WAB is running on which version of Portal?  If there isn't a table, could someone at Esri, please, make a table in the documentation showing these relationships? 

FYI, the Portal 10.5 help doc does have info on Web AppBuilder, What's new in Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 and 10.5.1—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise (scroll down to the end of the topic)

Thank you for your feedback. We'll work on improving the doc.

Hope this helps,

BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Is there a way to update the WAB version on Portal 10.5 ours is at 2.4

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi BPriya,

> Is there a way to update the WAB version on Portal 10.5

There is no means to upgrade Web AppBuilder embedded within Portal for ArcGIS. We recommend that you use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition with Portal to 'upgrade' and use the latest release.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Hello Derek,

Thanks for your reply

I did some research on Web App builder Developer Edition and also read your blog installing WAB Developer Edition in a disconnected Portal Environment. as well.

One thing that puzzles me and I have seen couple questions here on GeoNet and answers only half of my question

Once I build the web app on WAB Developer Edition and deploy on the web server ,I can add the app as an Web mapping item to our portal as outlined in How to publish a custom WAB app to Portal

However, if I build the application using the latest and greatest edition (2.8 and higher ) version of WAB and considering that portal 10.5.1is running on  WAB is 2,4 will the app and the widgets functionality will still be the same or will I run into any issues .(a great example would be using screening widget in the application the widget is available on WAB 2.8 and higher) and not in Portal 10.5.1 ..will the widget still work )

Thank you 

Bhanu

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bhanu,

Because you are hosting the WAB 2.8 App on your web server and then adding it as an item in Portal (basically you are just linking to your hosted app in Portal) the difference between Portal WAB version and your hosted WAB Dev app does NOT matter at all as Portal is not trying to host the WAB Dev app it is just linking to it.