Select to view content in your preferred language

Smart Editor cannot fully edit multipoint feature layers

Jump to solution
02-21-2023 05:18 AM
Labels (1)
HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Dear Community and @AlixVezina

It seems the Web AppBuilder Smart Editor cannot create or modify geometries of multipoint features ... Is anyone else observing this?

I could find no documentation about this limitation, but I replicate this behaviour with the most simplistic feature service: 1 multipoint layer with 1 attribute, no rules, no domains, nothing fancy.

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.7,

• I created a feature class in a SDE geodatabase (PostgreSQL) with geometry type multipoint.
  • I published it as an editable feature service (add, delete, modify) in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.

Using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1,

• I created a web map with this one, single, feature layer.
  • I shared the webmap in a Web App Builder App ;
  • I added the SmartEditor & declared the one layer as fully editable

Point edition is partially OK:

1. Modifying an existing feature's attribution is OK.
  2. Modifying an existing feature's geometry is not possible (the geometry cannot be selected).
  3. Creating a new point in this multipoint feature service layer throws an error message:

Syntax error in JSON geometry representation

Creating a Point in a Multipoint Feature service with WAB SmartEditor.jpg

ArcGIS Assistant shows the Web AppBuilder version is 2.21.

All help here will be greatly appreciated!!

• Is anyone else having the same issue ?
  • Coudl anyone fix it, for instance using a ArcGIS assistant hack ?

Many thanks in advance!

NB - Potential side effect of BUG-000104054 ? (reported at ArcGIS Online, though)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@HélèneTouyéras Your observations are correct, editing the geometry of multipoint features with the Smart Editor is not fully supported, although it seems the user guidance and error messaging around this limitation could be improved. 

You will only be able to edit the attributes of existing multipoint features and delete existing multipoint features. You will not be able to create new multipoint features or modify individual point geometries. The limitations should be the same for all multipart features.

I've also just tested this in Portal 10.9.1 and I am observing the same limitations, except that it appears I can create a single point without any errors being displayed. 

If this is an enhancement you require, please would you be able to describe your workflow and use cases? We need to better understand how multipoint features are being edited on the web and why this functionality may be important for you.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@HélèneTouyéras Your observations are correct, editing the geometry of multipoint features with the Smart Editor is not fully supported, although it seems the user guidance and error messaging around this limitation could be improved. 

You will only be able to edit the attributes of existing multipoint features and delete existing multipoint features. You will not be able to create new multipoint features or modify individual point geometries. The limitations should be the same for all multipart features.

I've also just tested this in Portal 10.9.1 and I am observing the same limitations, except that it appears I can create a single point without any errors being displayed. 

If this is an enhancement you require, please would you be able to describe your workflow and use cases? We need to better understand how multipoint features are being edited on the web and why this functionality may be important for you.

Thank you!

HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for your fast reply, @AlixVezina !

Odd that I cannot add even a simple single point  - maybe a case of web App Builder versions? (which is yours? I have 2.21)

My use case for web editing multiple point features is in forestry:

Point features:

Reforestation, whatever the cause, can be undertaken by very small areas of tree planting - I am no forester, but I understand cases can be e.g. enrichment of poor areas, repair of very localized damage, or introducing clumps a different tree species to diversify an otherwise uniform forest context (hence the point geometry).

Multi-geometry:

These localized work are an actuel tree planting pattern,which is repeated in space (e.g. half of the forest is targeted by 50 clumps of 2 to 4 acres).

My users tell me this is the best option for them, at it allows them to have a both:

• an accurate geographical location of these areas
  • a lightweight attribution work, as they edit a single record.

The ideal workflow was to be able to create and merge points into multipoints (@Edit widget), then attribute the points with the strict channeling/funneling capabilities offered by the SmartEditor.

Web edition:

We are undertaking a massive, countrywide data collection in a short timeline. The web edition allows to spread the effort to all teams locally. Restricting data entry to GISPs would lift the multipoint edition, but would be an extreme bottleneck.

At this stage, the workflow is fully operational for polygon geometry only; and is not feasible for points. The work order needs amending as far as point are concerned:

• either downgrading to no multipart feature (unlikely!),
  • or to exclusively import finalized point features, and keep the web app for attribution only.

Work order managers & users find it hard to understand that what can be done with polygons cannot be done with points.

JwHayes
New Contributor III

@HélèneTouyéras  We really need the ability to edit multipoint features on the web. Multipoint features are a very useful data model. We have several datasets that use this geometry. We need non-GIS people to edit and update multipoint datasets. The best way to do this is via Portal/Online web apps. We can't do this until ESRI adds the functionality. Please add the functionality. 

easchwe
New Contributor II

Hello and thank you for creating such an organized and well documented thread @HélèneTouyéras  HélèneTouyéras

I also need to edit multipoint features using the Smart Editor widget in WAB. 

My use case is based on permit applications. My organization issues permits for the use of easements. Sometimes a permit is issued for a single location, however, In many cases, a single permit is issued that grants access to multiple locations. Multipoint geometry is the best option, as there is only one attribute record to update, but the multiple geometries allow visualization of the various permit locations.

Some background on the layer creation and editing workflow... The layer is created in Survey123 as a simple point geometry. I then convert it into multipoint using dissolve (https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-questions/change-point-feature-class-to-multipoint/td-...). The resulting multipoint feature layer is copied into our SDE where fields are added for use in various scripting tasks. This SDE is then published to our enterprise portal for use in various web maps, apps and dashboards. Since Survey123 only supports simple points, all records will come in with only 1 location. Some records will need to have additional locations added, while some only require the single, original location.

My users need the ability to 1. Edit the geometry of existing  point locations (simply move them),  2. Create additional multipoint locations that correspond to an existing record that already has geometry and attributes imported from the layer created in Survey123, and 3. Create brand new multipoint features with one or more locations.

Currently using Arc Pro 3.1.1 and Portal version 10.8.1, but are prepping for the upgrade to 11.1 shortly. Any input or advancement of this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your help.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@easchwe Thank you for providing these details!

0 Kudos