Layer Security in Web AppBuilder

02-22-2016 01:10 PM
DianaCastro
New Contributor

Right now we deploy maps by Portal for ArcGIS and Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS.  After we deploy the .zip file to the IIS; the map and it's layers are visible on the Internet over https.  Which is great, but we want to limit who can see what layers on the map.

Does something like that already exist in the solution?

Such as a username/password that we can provide to people to view certain layers?  What userbase can be populated?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Diana,

If your ArcGIS Service layer that is part of the web map is secured then the user will be challenged by the identity manager for credentials. All this handled by ArcGIS Server.

DianaCastro
New Contributor

Hi Robert.. thank you very much for your quick reply.

I haven't "secured" a layer before.  We aren't yet live to our users with our Web AppBuilder/GIS Portal project and therefore are still feeling out options for providing data.

We have setup the GIS portal and deployed some webapps successfully.

Is there a link you can direct me towards to read about securing an ArcGIS service layer and populating the identity manager in ArcGIS server?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Diana,

Here is a link:

How ArcGIS Server security works—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

The Identity manager part I mentioned is automatic when working with secured services/Layers