Hyperlink to Streetview - Widget or Popup

Jump to solution
05-16-2017 03:41 PM
DanNorman
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, since we can't use an in app widget to display google street view I was wondering if anyone has created a widget or edited the popup window to include a hyperlink to google streetview with coordinates from the click eg: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&layer=c&cbll=31.33519,-89.28720 (got link from another site!)

I've been digging around in the popup manager.js trying to figure out how to add items to what i think ESRI called the popups action items (zoom to and three dots in WABDE 2.4)

27 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And the reason I know all this is because I was actually contacted by Google Maps API team about my violation of the TOS and went back and forth with them a lot on this and finally we settled on the fact there is no way to start with a esri maps and be able to open a streetview image.

LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III

This is so confusing. I see the new Google Earth Widget (https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-11028-google-earth-widget ) and I think it violates the TOS since it uses an ESRI basemap to use GE. Correct? The developer refers to the number of map loads but he does not address the use of GE on an ESRI basemap. Care to comment? Thanks.

City_of_LakelandGIS
New Contributor III

Robert,

This is interesting as Waze/Google have a whole Connected Citizens Program that allows for one or two way communication which can be mapped via GeoEvent without any known issues.  I find it interesting that the TOS applies to Street View but not Waze.  Your thoughts? 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You just need to read the TOS to understand that there are limitations on the use of StreetView. I don't know anything about Waze.

0 Kudos
JohnVarghese
New Contributor III

Robert,

Since Street view must be used in conjunction with Google Maps, how about having Google maps as one of the basemaps and use Street View with Google Maps?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

John,

If only it was that simple. There is no way to use google maps as a base map without violating their TOS.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

So I was wondering...

I'm part of the local official government (county/city level) and we are direct contributors to Esri and Google for the base maps. By that I mean we are the authoritative source for streets (names, segments, traffic lights, etc.) and address points (we are the official address authority in our 'county').

With this push/pull of data is it still 100% impossible, or is it possible to have an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Google to display street view?

My hopes are to create a custom attribute pop-up with a hyperlink on the address... that opens a seperate window displaying the street view..... any thoughts on the legality of that?

Thanks for you time!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brandon,

The Google Maps API TOS does NOT provide for a way that their products can be used with ArcGIS.

They have update their TOS to be even more restrictive now:

(d) No Use With Non-Google Maps. Customer will not use the Google Maps Core Services in a Customer Application that contains a non-Google map. For example, Customer will not display Places listings on a non-Google map, or (ii) display Street View imagery and non-Google maps in the same Customer Application.

So I would still say no.

0 Kudos
LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III

Darn...I did just that on one of the apps. I included the Google (sttreet and hybrid)  basemaps in the basemaps widget and users have to select a Google basemap, before they could use the street view or the Google Earth.

Sorry, to prolong the discussion, but I have more question. So, if a user clicks on a location on the ArcGIS app, and pass on the coordinates to open an external app with a Google map and streetview will that be ok? Thanks.

Current widget.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There is no way to use Google maps as a base map that does not violate their TOS.

0 Kudos