Geoprocessing Service Intermittent Error in Web AppBuilder

02-20-2015 10:44 AM
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

We have a geoprocessing service that selects a taxlot based on a sql statement made by the user, then selects surrounding taxlots based on a distance set by the user, and finally gives a link to a downloadable excel file with taxlot data in it. See below for reference.

Capture2.JPG

This usually works fine, especially right after publishing the service and bringing it into the Web App Builder. But every once in awhile it seems to randomly stop working. Seems almost consistently after it's been sitting for a few days, but then it will randomly start working again. Usually we have to republish the service to make it work right away. It's almost like it just gets bogged down from just being available for too long (which doesn't really make sense). The error logged in Arcgis Server is usually what you see below.

Capture.JPG

But I know that the syntax is valid because I always just use the default one I put in when I set it up.

Is there some maintenance I should be running on this service, or something else I'm missing that might cause this? It's becoming quite frustrating especially when we are trying to convince people to abandon ArcReader for a "better" system. This sort of garbage happens and it just gives them fuel to argue to stick with the old way of doing things.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Steve,

In ArcGIS Server manager have you tried setting the advanced settings for recycling the service every x hours?

LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

It appears that arcgis server automatically sets them to restart at midnight. I changed the time to be closer to when people will start using the service and that seemed to make the difference this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.