Cannot print. Very frustrating problem.

03-26-2019 09:19 AM
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to use the print widget but it fails with the error message failed to create layer from service at http....../..../.../....etc. doesn;'t matter the page size or format, it always fails.

I'm using webAppBuilder 2.11 on our dev server and using locallayer to bring in layers from ArcGIS Server 10.6 via a published mxd.

I had the same problem when I was trying to develop a mapping service using the javascript api. printing would not work there either (It fails silently)

Assuming the print service is an out of the box solution, what else can I look at? I've looked at the setting on ArcGIS server,  I've also tried logging onto our server loading up the map and printing directly from there with no luck. I've really hit a brick wall here and everything I've tried does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could try looking next? Thanks.

87 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
 I take this to mean that anyone should be able use the print services?

you can secure print service itself so that only the authorized users can access a print service.

now, if you want print service to access other secured services, then you need to make sure that the print service itself has access to those secured services. Pls note, print service it an separate entity, just because your web app has access to a service, does not mean the print service will have access.

pls check out a portion of a tech session on print service that talks about how print service works:

Enabling High-Quality Printing in Web Applications - YouTube 

0 Kudos
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to get this working at a basic level first so I'm not using a secured print service. I've tried going through the proxy but that doesn't work either. I've left the permissions to public by default, again at a basic level to get this working. If I select the other option, and just tick the check box, I get a permissions error as soon as I press the print button (which is strange because I should definitely be in several of those domains listed).

I've also tried publishing another export web map tool from ArcCatalog and that hasn't worked either.

It always fails with the same error that it cannot access service at http://....

-and I'm trying this logged into the windows server (I have local admin rights) on which ArcGIS server is installed (And I have admin rights to ArcGIS server as well) If an admin cannot print, then I guess nobody will ever be able to print a webmap!

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Carl,

I think it is most likely be a good idea to reach out to Esri Support at this point. Sorry can't help much without over an online discussion

0 Kudos
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone for the help. I think this will have to be a support call....

0 Kudos
NFarr
by
New Contributor II

Did you get this error resolved? I'm having a very similar issue!

SandeepKuniel1
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

Any further help on this problem? I am on Enterprise 10.7, and I have found that my custom print service cannot print when there are any layers from our image server included. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have a custom print service that was able to print layers from your image server in a previous version of ArcGIS?  If so, what version of ArcGIS were you using?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have already tried all the process mentioned earlier in this chain and still didn't help, then I'll strongly recommend you to reach out to Esri Support. We need to take a look.

0 Kudos
AndrewThompsonTRC
New Contributor II

Any news on this issue? I have Enterprise 10.8 and have not been able to print secured services with a custom print service.  

0 Kudos