Can I replicate the Collector for ArcGIS relationship class behavior in a Web Mapping Application?

Jump to solution
06-07-2016 09:33 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My idea originates from this Collector for ArcGIS tutorial demonstrating how to use relationship classes to establish a link between Hydrants and Inspections within Collector. The upshot of the tutorial is that, once a Hydrant is created, many inspections can be associated with that hydrant in an Inspections table.

Basically I want to replicate this behavior, but instead of using Hydrants and Inspections I want to establish this link between a Project Description layer and a Milestones layer using either a Geo Form or a Web Mapping Application. For instance, say I make a new Project in San Jose, CA using a Geo Form. I want to create the functionality that would essentially let users click a button that says 'Add a Milestone' and then they can update the Milestone table with new information.

Already attempted: I created a relationship class between my Project and Milestone layers but was not able to create this same auto-update functionality that is built into Collector for ArcGIS. Does anyone know of any way to establish these links within a Web Mapping Application?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

jamatney‌ I see from your comment on the What's New in AGOL blog that you've found the Crowdsource Polling application. GeoNet is more searchable for others who are looking for similar solutions so I'm going to reply here rather than there.

At this point in time there are no plans to allow commenters to edit their comments in in Polling, but those comments are editable through the Crowdsource Manager application which, at the next release med-September, will also allow the creation of related records. As you mentioned on the blog, related records are also now editable through the item details page.

Depending on your overall workflow, Crowdsource Manager might be a better fit for your workflow. It is a group app - designed to read a collection of maps from a group in AGOL, but it works just as well if the group only has a single map in it.

-Allison

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LisaBerry
Esri Contributor

Jason Matney, I am not sure about the answer to this question, so I have asked some co-workers to take a look at it. Best of luck!

RichardJansen
New Contributor III

Hey Jason, i have been testing with this functionality for quite a time now. The only way to create or mutate a record in a related table in ArcGIS online, is by using Collector for ArcGIS or ArcGIS pro. ArcMAP has the disadvantage making a replica of your data first before you can edit it and hope your sync will go right.

If you want to visualize you records in a map you even have to simplify you data in a new feature layer.

e.g. I have a asset with multiple recordings of problems that have to be solved. I want to show the mechanic a map with all the assets that have a specific problem.

So i join the asset features with the info from the relation table and make a new layer. Now the mechanic can select a specific problem of his choice, show were he has to go and solve the problem.

If anyone has a different solution i be very interested.

Best regards,

Richard Jansen

AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

jamatney‌ I see from your comment on the What's New in AGOL blog that you've found the Crowdsource Polling application. GeoNet is more searchable for others who are looking for similar solutions so I'm going to reply here rather than there.

At this point in time there are no plans to allow commenters to edit their comments in in Polling, but those comments are editable through the Crowdsource Manager application which, at the next release med-September, will also allow the creation of related records. As you mentioned on the blog, related records are also now editable through the item details page.

Depending on your overall workflow, Crowdsource Manager might be a better fit for your workflow. It is a group app - designed to read a collection of maps from a group in AGOL, but it works just as well if the group only has a single map in it.

-Allison