Overview Map Widget Should Be Able to Consume Vector Tiles

03-23-2021 05:40 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

In my organization, we have made effective use of custom vector tile basemaps. Our workflow includes monthly updates of the city's parcel geometry, park geometry, etc, and vector tile basemaps are incredibly useful for displaying these changes. We have constructed a raster tile basemap as well, but the service is of course large, cumbersome, and tedious to update. 

Recently I was constructing a web app for another city user who requested the use of the overview map widget. I hadn't dealt with it too much before, but after looking at the specs I figured that leaving the setting to "Use The Web Map's Basemap" would simply use the vector tiles that the map was using. They are projected correctly for use in the widget but after discussion with ESRI support, it seems as though vector tiles cannot be used in the overview map widget.

I'm not exactly sure why this is - the widget defaults to one of ESRI's basemaps, but it would be really nice to be able to use the same info on the map and the overview map. 

Please consider making this change to Web AppBuilder. Vector Tiles are routinely promoted by ESRI and while I understand that consuming them when third-party applications are involved is a different animal, it would be nice if they were at least useable in ESRI's own Enterprise environment.