Change Name for Web AppBuilder (Non-Developer Edition)

04-19-2019 01:33 PM
TomBell1
New Contributor III

Web AppBuilder is a fantastic tool, and I use it to build many custom web apps.

I have run into a problem, however, in that if I'm seeking information about Web AppBuilder and use Esri "Help" or a search engine or GeoNet, etc., about 90% of the results I get are for Web AppBuilder (Developer Edition).  Many times, even if it doesn't say "Developer Edition" in the title of the search result, that's often what a search result actually pertains to.  So in short, I can't just search for information/help about the NON-Developer Edition.  And despite virtually the same name, the two applications are in fact VERY different, and the result is that I spend a lot of time needlessly searching (and often not finding) what I need to know about Web AppBuilder because the information I'm seeking is buried under results for Web AppBuilder (Developer Edition).

It would be GREAT if Esri could change the name of one or the other of these (very different) applications.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Comment
ColeAndrews

Imagine trying to explain GIS app development to your non-GIS management/executives. "Well, we have Web AppBuilder, but we can't do that. Ours is in Portal...but that widget is only in ArcGIS Online Web AppBuilder. Maybe next year they'll release a new Portal (now enterprise) version and we can use that widget. Or we could get Web AppBuilder Dev and have access in a few months instead of a year. But then we'd have to change our architecture because you need a web server to host Web AppBuilder (Dev) on. No, we can't modify code within 2 of the 3 versions." 

"Wait...what??"

Lol