Reopening Enhanced Splash Widget

04-04-2011 09:37 AM
BenOverholt
New Contributor
I am using the enhanced splash widget to display some information about the project on one tab and a simple how-to for some of the widgets I will be using in another. I want to be able to reopen the splash page in case someone wants to revisit the how-to section. When I press "enter" on the splash widget it closes it but is still active in the widget container and clicking on the icon there does not bring it back up. Any ideas?

Ben Overholt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ben,

If you are placing the Enhanced Splash Widget in the right place in your config file as instructed in the ReadMe.txt you would not have a icon for it. Using it the way you are attempting might be possible but not what it is really designed for. Splash widgets are one time appearance per session type of widgets.
0 Kudos
BenOverholt
New Contributor
I realize that it is not being used as intended. Are there any other ways to bring up some sort of widget window similar to a splash page with this kind of editable information?
0 Kudos
AlexSanders
Occasional Contributor
The about link brings up a splash page that you could configure a hyperlink to a page that would include help topics and you could change the word from about to help.  Don't know if that would work, or you could just refresh the web browser 😉

Alex Sanders
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ben,

Currently the widget is not coded to allow for reopening but I am looking into the ability to do that. I'll keep you updated.
0 Kudos
BenOverholt
New Contributor
Alex- I noticed the about link just before I read your post and that does seem to be a simple work around for now. Thanks for your input.

Robert- I do think your enhanced splash widget would be the best solution, as it would allow for multiple tabs. I look forward to your enhancements. Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Ben,

Currently the widget is not coded to allow for reopening but I am looking into the ability to do that. I'll keep you updated.

Thank you Ben for thinking of this one, and Robert for considering it.  Being able to maintain ONE re-usable splash page is better than having to maintain two.  I have configured the About link to show the exact same thing as the original Splash.

It would be handy to just make the About link open the Enhanced Splash widget.
0 Kudos
JustinRiggs
New Contributor
Sorry, really basic question. How do I set up the "About" link in my viewer?
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Sorry, really basic question. How do I set up the "About" link in my viewer?

Hi Justin!

It's all in the HeaderControllerWidget.xml.

--Adam
0 Kudos
DarrenGemoets
New Contributor III
Add me to the list of folks who'd like a re-openable splash page.  I'm not using the Enhanced Splash widget at the moment, but I have been unable to get a modified Splash widget to come back up with non-empty content.  I've added a few UI controls to the modified Splash widget (to direct the user to the desired area of the app).

That said, I'm certain my problem has to do with being a Flex/ActionScript noob.  My static properties are not acting static (like I would have expected from the Java world) and content seems to be getting blanked out in the attempt to re-open the Splash page (or in closing the initial one).
0 Kudos